Towing 6k lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing more research the past few days (yay vacation) I'm leaning towards Centric Fleet Duty pads. http://www.centricparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=230

I haven't found anything bad about them except for dust. I can live with dust, but I'm also looking at the Posi-Quiet Ceramics.

I haven't decided if I'm going the GMT-900 updgrade, Hydroboost or both just yet.

Thanks for the info on the VW. I've had a few BMW's so I get the German maintenance costs. Our last was a 540it wagon, fast, comfortable and fun to drive. But spent $3k the first year in maintenance, and I did all the work. Ouch.

We also drove a Denali before buying our Tahoe, and I liked it. All the ones we drove were trashed, and I didn't like the MPG. We scored a deal on our Tahoe thanks to a nasty divorce and the 5.3 is powerful enough for us for now.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then there is only one solution.... Duraburb!

yup! but I have seen a few 5.9 cummins in the Suburban's and it fit's so much nicer. you have room to work on things. I think a 3rd gen cummins would be a real nice swap. you could go to even a later 6.7 and 6spd auto. nothing like 800 ft lbs of torque to move things down the road.

kschumake83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing more research the past few days (yay vacation) I'm leaning towards Centric Fleet Duty pads. http://www.centricparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=230

I haven't found anything bad about them except for dust. I can live with dust, but I'm also looking at the Posi-Quiet Ceramics.

I haven't decided if I'm going the GMT-900 updgrade, Hydroboost or both just yet.

Thanks for the info on the VW. I've had a few BMW's so I get the German maintenance costs. Our last was a 540it wagon, fast, comfortable and fun to drive. But spent $3k the first year in maintenance, and I did all the work. Ouch.

We also drove a Denali before buying our Tahoe, and I liked it. All the ones we drove were trashed, and I didn't like the MPG. We scored a deal on our Tahoe thanks to a nasty divorce and the 5.3 is powerful enough for us for now.

I actually like Autozone's SD brakes, I put them on my Silverado that would run through brake pads like they were made of plastic and they lasted very long and would stop my truck with a 8000 lb trailer behind it like it wasn't there. The trailer brakes were not very good either, it had a surge hydraulic setup on it that sucked, I ended up selling that trailer and I am looking for one that is a bit more suited for towing with the Tahoe. So if you know anyone in the Pennsylvania area looking to get rid of a car trailer let me know.

ebxgsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine had installed NAPA's adaptive one ceramic pads & the new NAPA Reactive one brake rotors. he towed a huge trailer with his Tundra & said they stopped on a dime. i am only going to be doing moderate towing when i tow my Jeep to the trails, so i think mine will be an overkill. but who ever complained about more stopping power.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the bb tune with autocal. I town 7k lbs with mine all the time and its a night and day difference especially on shifting pulling hills. And the power the engine puts out. It takes some work and patience to get set up but worth it.

I also put air red bags in the back to level and that was priceless as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4cdndctn

4cdndctn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd recommend the bb tune with autocal. I town 7k lbs with mine all the time and its a night and day difference especially on shifting pulling hills. And the power the engine puts out. It takes some work and patience to get set up but worth it.

I also put air red bags in the back to level and that was priceless as well.

I think I'm going to go with BB, thank you. Do you have the 5.3 or 6.0?
As far as the bags, is that because you do not have auto leveling or you wanted the extra support? Thanks

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear suspension needs the added SUPORT of the bags to support the weight. Auto level can only do so much. Auto level is designed for a set weight range. And we'll plain and simple it is only a few Hundo of cargo. Not 5k+ no there is not that much tong weight but your still looking at 400-600# tong weight. Then if you have cargo or people or subs. You need that added air bag support so that you don't over stress the suspension. This is mainly a saftey issue as your front end will be loose "pop wheelie effect" and front can walk side to side not to mention head lights point high. Simply put it is not safe.

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear suspension needs the added SUPORT of the bags to support the weight. Auto level can only do so much. Auto level is designed for a set weight range. And we'll plain and simple it is only a few Hundo of cargo. Not 5k+ no there is not that much tong weight but your still looking at 400-600# tong weight. Then if you have cargo or people or subs. You need that added air bag support so that you don't over stress the suspension. This is mainly a saftey issue as your front end will be loose "pop wheelie effect" and front can walk side to side not to mention head lights point high. Simply put it is not safe.

The man knows his stuff... Seem to recall him making a good safety decision. I still need some high res shots of the hitch if you get time. We just had a guy come in with his 01 dodge lifted and he is pulling a FW around. He is mental!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia