Tow/Haul -- Nothing happens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rfried

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Yukon SLE 5.3 3.73, 143xxx miles

Gentlemen (and hopefully ladies),

Better late than never, finally added a Curt tow hitch and tranny cooler to my Yukon since it didn't come from the factory with one. This has become my tow vehicle through attrition of my other vehicles.

Ever since I drove the vehicle off the lot in 2004, whenever I press the tow/haul button nothing happens. No dash light, no gearing changes. Never worried about it since I didn't tow with this truck, but now I'm wondering why. Is there something that my Yukon didn't come from the factory with? Does it matter anyways, I can always just drive in 3rd gear right?

Thanks

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry to say, Photobucket lost the story/notes I had to go with these pics...
Tow/Haul wire
But, it shows the cause of the problem you're experiencing.
The broken wire(s) is under the gear selector boot. You'll need to crack open the steering column halves, for access, and repair the broken wire(s).

HTH,
EJ

OP
OP
R

rfried

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it difficult to crack the steering column and what tools would I need? I'm fairly handy if I have the correct tools and some directions...

Thanks for the info btw...

roush611

Reaction score
It is a real easy fix. You would have to do something horribly wrong to crack the steering column. I just did mine a couple weeks ago. I didn't bother buying the new wire/gear selector. I just spliced some new wire in there. Good a new!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz