Tow/Haul Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking of getting a BB tune for my 09 Z71. I have read that there is an option to add performance settings to the Tow/Haul mode. I tow a couple of boats (15ft center console and a 24ft sail boat) so I am not sure I want to add the performance setting to the Tow/Haul mode. Question is, does the tune change anything to Tow/Haul mode if I opt out of the performance option? So if I switch on Tow/Haul mode, will it revert back to the factory Tow/Haul specs? Does anyone know if it is possible to improve the factory tow/haul specs with the tune? Thanks.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! If you dont want them to change it they wont. I think all they do is change the shift points though. IIRC, thats all they can do to the tow/haul button

OP
OP
M

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is it possible to improve the factory tow/haul specs for improved towing performance or is it best to just leave factory stock and just get a custom tune?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell ya that, I have no idea. If Jenna doesn't pipe in here shoot her a PM.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jenna's out of pocket right now, but I replied to mtbennett24's email this morning.

Typically, improving the power output of the engine will help improve towing alone, without having to make any tow/haul transmission setting changes.

Britain Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jenna's out of pocket right now, but I replied to mtbennett24's email this morning.

Typically, improving the power output of the engine will help improve towing alone, without having to make any tow/haul transmission setting changes.

I am new to this forum and just stumbled across this. I saw that there is a tune day in WA soon and that is only 120miles from me.

I am also looking to improve the tow/haul performance. When you say that improving the power output will improve towing along...are you talking about towing with or without the tow/haul mode on?

-Britain

TogaPC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More engine power means better towing regardless of whether the Tow/Haul mode is engaged or not. Tow/Haul just makes the transmission act differently. It doesn't affect the engine performance.

Just leave it alone if you tow very often. I will be having it changed to sport mode for more aggressive shifting when I'm feeling frisky that way during normal operation it shifts a little milder for when the family is with me.

Did this on my 2000 Tahoe (RIP) and I loved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmack