Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been getting the reduced engine power forever. I just keep a cheapie scanner in the Hoe--just to clear the cel. I finally cleaned the driver side grounds, along with adding an extra ground under the hood. I couldn't find a bolt the correct size, so I used one of the bolts that holds the bracket to the alt bracket.View attachment 223003 View attachment 222999 View attachment 223001 View attachment 223002
I need to do this. I just had an issue yesterday.. I was driving down a toll road at about 80-85, when my dash gauges just crapped out, and the battery / charge light illuminated. It’s a fairly new optima red top, as well as a new alternator. So do not believe the battery or alternator are the problem. They all came back to life in a couple seconds, but I had a bit of indigestion over it.. I’m thinking grounds.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
tony what was that super bright thing in the sky shining down on us all day today.......i forget what its called lol

so the ground cleaning fix ya up? or it a wait and see type deal?
It's gonna be a wait and see. Hoe doesn't get driven much anymore. Hopefully this'll fix it. Don't get used to that bright thing up above, it's gonna be disappearing again!

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I need to do this. I just had an issue yesterday.. I was driving down a toll road at about 80-85, when my dash gauges just crapped out, and the battery / charge light illuminated. It’s a fairly new optima red top, as well as a new alternator. So do not believe the battery or alternator are the problem. They all came back to life in a couple seconds, but I had a bit of indigestion over it.. I’m thinking grounds.
I've never had that happen to me while driving, but a few times when starting, the cluster is dead--not very often tho. One time I smacked the dash and it came back, another time I unplugged the cluster, then plugged it back in--that worked--so when it happens again I just drive like that, it eventually comes back. I think someone said there's a ground in the cluster plug that sometimes has issues.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had that happen to me while driving, but a few times when starting, the cluster is dead--not very often tho. One time I smacked the dash and it came back, another time I unplugged the cluster, then plugged it back in--that worked--so when it happens again I just drive like that, it eventually comes back. I think someone said there's a ground in the cluster plug that sometimes has issues.
Cool, thanks for the info. Cluster with a trans temp gauge is on the short list already. Haven’t decided if I’m doing LEDs/ color, etc.. yet.

ETA: and I (apparently) have a dead stepper motor for oil pressure as well.. [emoji2959]

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. Cluster with a trans temp gauge is on the short list already. Haven’t decided if I’m doing LEDs/ color, etc.. yet.

ETA: and I (apparently) have a dead stepper motor for oil pressure as well.. [emoji2959]
20180924_200044.jpg
Don't feel bad, my oil pressure doesn't work either. Since my cluster was rebuilt awhile ago with the improved stepper motors, I'm hoping it's just the sender.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been getting the reduced engine power forever. I just keep a cheapie scanner in the Hoe--just to clear the cel. I finally cleaned the driver side grounds, along with adding an extra ground under the hood. I couldn't find a bolt the correct size, so I used one of the bolts that holds the bracket to the alt bracket.View attachment 223003 View attachment 222999 View attachment 223001 View attachment 223002

It might be time to take care of your frame, some undercoating.