To Roof rack or Not to.....that is the ?

Roof racks

• Oem

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Painted esky

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Rackless

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flowmini98

Reaction score
This is just my 2cents:

Rackless = rack completely gone, ALL door moldings and lettering gone, running steps gone, rear wiper and door handles gone...nice and smooth, big wheels and lowered stance. Clean "street ready" look.

Stock Rack: keep lower door molding, keep door handles and rear wiper, kepp any kind of running step, stock wheels/tires or "chunkier" off road wheels/tires maybe a lift or leveling kit.

Esky Rack: lettering removed, chrome plus sized wheels/ street tires

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Vote Rackless, especially with the TBSS wheels, looks super sporty. I would also agree to loose the steps if the rack is gone. I definitly would NOT take the molding off. I dont think they look right without some kind of molding. :imo:

2nd choice of course would be the Esky Rack

3rd Going to agree with Flowmini on this one, if OE rack is on recommend more of an off road look.

You can probably find some stainless steel allen screws with a rounded top or plastic plugs from a hardware store I would check TACOMA SCREW or FASTENAL if there are any of those stores in your neck of the woods.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

if you go rack less, you should take off the plastic pad on the rear glass, it would clean up the hatch a little more.

yesyukondoit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I took my roof rack off I just cleaned and waxed where it was, and then used some clear silicone and filled in the holes for now. Waiting on body shop to grind down the pieces that stick up from the roof surface and then they will fill the holes and blend the paint to match. You don't really notice those pieces now, but I cant believe how many people notice the rack gone and they like it. Just my $.02

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
If I could have ordered my Tahoe without a roof rack, I would have done so. I enjoy looking at all of the Lubbock Police Department Tahoes driving around town without the roof racks, as they look much cleaner and sharper. But I am not going to be messing around with hole repairs on the roof and a paint job.

Another example of the public NOT wanting something General Motors thinks we want. :rolleyes:

Dahoe

Reaction score
Rackless i agree it looks alot sportier that way. Had my rack off for 6 months and like you i got bored and threw it back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DGeneration420