Tires

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Tonyc, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Tonyc

Tonyc TYF Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    So I have a 2017 Tahoe and want to upgrade from the factory continentals to terra grappler g2’s. It has the oem 20x9 honey comb wheels. Should I go with 285/50/20’s to look better on the 9” wide wheels. Most oem wheels are 8.5” wide. Or should I stick with the 275/55/20’s. Also do you think these tires will be noticeably louder or worse riding. I own them on my Silverado but it’s a truck. I love them on it. I just don’t want my wife to complain. Lol

2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    They'll almost certainly have a stiffer ride, especially if they are Load Range D or E vesrus P-Metric stock tires. My family does not complain about the KO2s on mine, they think it sounds and rides fine, maybe she won't notice either, especially if she runs the radio loud!

3. 91RS

91RS Full Access Member

Name:
    D
    If you don't want any complaints I wouldn't put all terrains on it. Put some Michelin Defender LTX's on it in the stock size and she'll probably fall in love with the truck again.

Joseph Garcia likes this.
  4. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia Full Access Member

Name:
    Joseph
    I agree with 91. If you fear that your wife may have an issue with one of the options, you are probably right. :chair: And, if she does have an issue, you will be 'reminded' about it every time that she steps into the truck. Do you feel lucky?

I put a Gibson Extreme dual exhaust on my truck, as I wanted a loud exhaust with some performance-related benefits. However, I am reminded by my wife regarding how loud the truck is, EVERY time that she steps into it. Now, I just reply, "You are right, Dear.".

The Michelin Defender LTX's are super quiet, and they won't cause any noise-related issues in the family. I believe that they look good on the truck, unless you want to have a gnarly off-road tire look. Since I have an 07 truck, I cannot comment on any tire/wheel/wheel-well fit issues for your 17 truck. I can tell you that I was able to mount Michelin Defender LTX's 305/50x20 tires on stock 20x8.5 31mm wheels on my truck with no fit or rubbing issues.

5. Tonyc

Tonyc TYF Newbie

Name:
    Tony

6. Tonyc

Tonyc TYF Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Thanks. She doesn’t complain at all with the continental’s that’s currently on it. And honestly I couldn’t either. They drive and ride great. But they look horrible to me. They aren’t worn too much maybe 30-50% the truck only has 15 k on it. I just want a more aggressive look for the vehicle.

7. 91RS

91RS Full Access Member

Name:
    D
    Yeah, the Continental isn't the best looking tire but they do ride pretty decent. It's one of those tires that looks worn out but then if you measure it, it still has 6/32! I think the Defenders are good looking tires. I had a set of Michelin Premier's (not a fan for a full size) on my wife's Yukon because I got them for free and I didn't think they looked nearly as good as my Escalade with the Defenders.

Tonyc and Joseph Garcia like this.