Tires for 22" Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer screwed up my order and stuck me with 22" wheels. The tire that I LOVE is the Michelin LT1 M/S2, but it is not available in 285/45-22. I've been reading the reviews on the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires that come OEM on the 22" rims, and needless to say, they are not good. Any tire can function in the dry, but the Alenzas seem to lose it badly in the wet.

I know a lot of people buy tires for looks, prestige, on-road performance, or off-road performance, but I want a tire that does wet and ice like a champ. Anyone have suggestions for 22" tires?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toyo Proxes II is a good tire in weather as is Nitto 420. I had the 420 tire for quite a while it drove great in dry, wet, snow, whatever

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer screwed up my order and stuck me with 22" wheels. The tire that I LOVE is the Michelin LT1 M/S2, but it is not available in 285/45-22. I've been reading the reviews on the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires that come OEM on the 22" rims, and needless to say, they are not good. Any tire can function in the dry, but the Alenzas seem to lose it badly in the wet.

I know a lot of people buy tires for looks, prestige, on-road performance, or off-road performance, but I want a tire that does wet and ice like a champ. Anyone have suggestions for 22" tires?

I respectfully disagree...I think the Dueler is an excellent tire. It is reasonably priced, quiet, looks good, and is nearly always readily available in any tire store (if you get a flat, etc).

OP
OP
T

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires for 22" Rims

Understood, but saying "Dueler" doesn't tell you what tire it is. Based on many of the 1000+ (Tire Rack) reviews on the Dueler Alenza, it is not a good tire in the wet, where it is most dangerous.

Conversely, the Alenza Plus has better ratings, reinforcing the concept that "Dueler" is a line not a tire.

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also am about to get tires next week for my 22's. I was going to get the Bridgestone Altenza's (or plus')...basically because that's what GM puts on escalades and denali's. I figure if it's good enough for those premium SUV's, it's good enough for me.

If the wet traction was that horrible and GM puts them on so many SUV's, wouldn't we be hearing about lawsuits and lots of controversy?

With that said...my fiancé totaled her car a few weeks ago by hydroplaning on the freeway. Her car skid and flipped sideways 2-3 times. I was in my truck just behind her. It was an awful experience. Thank God she somehow walked away with minor fractures and bumps and bruises....

So to say that I am concerned and want to have the BEST POSSIBLE WET TRACTION on this vehicle is a huge understatement. I would love to hear any and all feedback on this.

Haven't found many reviews on the Altenza PLUS. They are supposedly better for wet traction?

Last edited:

Ruthless53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got Nitto 420s on my tahoe and they are really nice. Brand new so I don't have many miles on them but reviews are really good. They look great too!

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto 420's....huhuh...420!!! Just kidding. So I looked up the ratings on tire rack of the Bridgestone Altenza's and they have an 8.6 rating in wet traction and the plus' have an 8.9 wet traction rating...not bad at all. I see some reviews were people are going off and some mention wet traction...but then just as many say how great they are in wet conditions. Can't take individual reviews too serious. Look at the overall pictire. If you read enough reviews on ANYTHING, you'll find someone who complains about anything and everything.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Oh, I actually had the Bridgstone Altenza's on my '07 suburban in a 285/45/22 and had ZERO issues with them. At the time I lived in south Florida where it rains damn near every day. Now that I think about it, I bought that SUV because I was renting a Chrysler 300 that hydroplaned and I did a 360 on the freeway. Guess I've had a lot of experience with hydroplaning...but actually not with these tires at all.

Anyone have any horror stories with the Bridgestone Altenza's?

Last edited:

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with the Bridgestone Altenza's?

about to pull the trigger on these and just want to make sure...

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A L E N Z A...... no "t"

I had mine for almost 3 years and love them. Super quiet and no issues in the rain or the light snow we got.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running the 20 inch version of the Alenzas in South Florida. No issues wet or dry. Look good, wearing nicely too. They are not unique but perform as I want them to. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160