2023 Suburban ( 22" wheels) cabin noise at high speeds (tires? wind?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got my Suburban few weeks ago and love it but road noise seems to be higher than I expected at 65MPH and higher speeds. Seems like both tires and wind noise.. when I hit occasional patches of asphalt (as opposed to concrete) it becomes less noisy, as expected.

I drove a Lexus RX before which had less noise at highway speeds so that's what I'm comparing it too. Is it just truck-based vs car-based SUV thing? All Youtube reviews praise the low level of cabin noise so I'm a bit surprised. This is my first large body-on-frame SUV.

Has anybody had similar experience and done anything to improve it?

Tires are stock Bridgestone Alenzas.

Thanks!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the tires - I don't have experience with the Alenzas, but plenty of other people on this forum have and the reviews are not good - https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-quickly-did-you-switch-out-the-oem-tires.140309/

I'm on 18's with Michelin Defender LTX and from my perspective it's a very quiet ride. My previous SUV was a Honda Pilot and Honda by no means has ever been known for providing a quiet ride, but I can definitely say our Yukon XL is a much quieter ride. Next time I take it out, I'll measure the cabin decibels with an app on my phone. I know it's not too scientific, but might provide you a point of comparison.

OP
OP
E

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could be the tires - I don't have experience with the Alenzas, but plenty of other people on this forum have and the reviews are not good - https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-quickly-did-you-switch-out-the-oem-tires.140309/

I'm on 18's with Michelin Defender LTX and from my perspective it's a very quiet ride. My previous SUV was a Honda Pilot and Honda by no means has ever been known for providing a quiet ride, but I can definitely say our Yukon XL is a much quieter ride. Next time I take it out, I'll measure the cabin decibels with an app on my phone. I know it's not too scientific, but might provide you a point of comparison.
Thanks Stephen!! will look into the tires more closely.

Yeah, I have a Honda CRV in the family as well and the Suburban is much quieter than the CRV, just not the Lexus.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Stephen!! will look into the tires more closely.

Yeah, I have a Honda CRV in the family as well and the Suburban is much quieter than the CRV, just not the Lexus.
I used the app “Decibel X” on my iPhone and holding the phone right above the center console at about ear level it was reading ~67db at 55mph on relatively nice asphalt. Hope that gives you a basis of comparison.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I confirm. The new generation T1 is noticeably noisier than the previous K2. And the noise comes from everywhere. From the panoramic roof, from the windows, from the road. The only thing is that the rear suspension began to work better and quieter, because the rear axle disappeared

OP
OP
E

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I confirm. The new generation T1 is noticeably noisier than the previous K2. And the noise comes from everywhere. From the panoramic roof, from the windows, from the road. The only thing is that the rear suspension began to work better and quieter, because the rear axle disappeared
did you experience the same in your 2022 Yukon Denali? Heard Denalis have laminated driver and passenger windows (Tahoe/Suburban is not) but not sure how much that helps.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you experience the same in your 2022 Yukon Denali? Heard Denalis have laminated driver and passenger windows (Tahoe/Suburban is not) but not sure how much that helps.
Yes, I have double front windows. All the same, it is smarter than my last taha k2)))) the sound goes not only through the glass)) personally, it seems to me more that the noise comes most of all from the panoramic roof))

Attachments

• IMG_20230809_082450.jpg
    IMG_20230809_082450.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 7

bradac

Reaction score
my 21 suburban was very loud, very boomy, to the point my apple watch was yelling at me saying its over 90 db.

my 2019 wasn't, in fact it was very very quiet.

Turns out the roof bows were no longer attached, causing the roof to flex on every little road imperfection.

reattached them with the special 3m flexible automotive foam, then sound deaden the entire roof doors and floors, dropped like 10 db, and improve the audio for the radio, I think they just use crapy Thin aluminum in these cars now. and did very little to sound proof it.

Was a lot of work but prob best $100 I ever spent kill mat 80 mil on amazon 36 sq feet

While doing the floors I discounted there's basically nothing between floor boards and engines bay, the prior gen had 5 in foam fired with thick rubber. I swear fkn GM with their bs cost cutting and racking the price up on these cars. Everything is thiner, plastics, metal, rubber. not to mention the plastics also scratch so easily.

After doing all this the noise level is now about the same as my 2019 suburban. Just sucks I had todo so much work to get the noise under control.

Attachments

• IMG_3132.jpeg
    IMG_3132.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3154.jpeg
    IMG_3154.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good tips, thanks! Wow, hard to believe 2021+ is louder than prior gen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019