Tire size question. Help desperately needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MVR 155

Reaction score
Michelin Defenders or Premier's will definitely improve the ride but my (non-scientific) observations are that the Bridgestone tires have better snow traction. I'd also encourage a trip to your dealer and request the 2019 magnetic ride control software update.

I actually thought that the factory Bridgestone (Dueler Alenza) was horrible in the rain/snow. I replaced them at 12K miles with the Michelin Defender LTX tires. The difference between the two tires is ridiculous. The Bridgestone tires would break loose in the rain in 2wd with minimal throttle input and they were awful in the snow. The Michelin Defenders are a waaaaay better tire all around and if my memory is correct, they are ~10lbs lighter per tire than the Bridgestones.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually thought that the factory Bridgestone (Dueler Alenza) was horrible in the rain/snow. I replaced them at 12K miles with the Michelin Defender LTX tires. The difference between the two tires is ridiculous. The Bridgestone tires would break loose in the rain in 2wd with minimal throttle input and they were awful in the snow. The Michelin Defenders are a waaaaay better tire all around and if my memory is correct, they are ~10lbs lighter per tire than the Bridgestones.
Well I guess therein lies the issue with non-scientific "impressions" - they can vary widely. My 2016 came new with the Continental (20") tires and they were bad all around. After quickly wearing out I replaced them with Michelin Premier LTX and they were amazing in all areas - Except only OK in snow. Fast forward to present day and I'm currently driving my 2019 Denali with 22" wheels during it's second Minnesota winter. Last year we had a lot of snow, so far this year some snow but a lot of ice. I "feel" the Bridgestone tires ride almost as well as my previous Michelin's but have better snow / ice traction. When these tires wear out I'll probably make the switch to Premier LTX nonetheless due to their softer compound.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Live in Dallas so snow isn’t an issue. Just occasional torrential downpours.

The truck just came back from the dealership after a frozen lifter thrashed the cam shaft. I’d suspect they would’ve detected any faults with the suspension when they hooked it up to the computer but are you saying there’s a suspension update that I could request? I’ll definitely have to look into that.
I've never come across a dealer that performs a "proactive" review of a vehicle. You may even struggle with your dealer not knowing anything about a ride control software update. I've heard it was a running change with the 2019 model year but don't know if that was well communicated at the dealer level. It may be a service manager level question.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never come across a dealer that performs a "proactive" review of a vehicle. You may even struggle with your dealer not knowing anything about a ride control software update. I've heard it was a running change with the 2019 model year but don't know if that was well communicated at the dealer level. It may be a service manager level question.

Right, and "update" doesn't necessarily mean "upgrade" to all people. If you don't mention anything to them about something, they're not going to assume it's "broken" and fix it. What if they took it upon themselves to apply all updates to all systems beyond what you brought it to them for, and then you bring it right back complaining that it now no longer has the firm and sporty ride you like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz