Tire psi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

12yukphil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, if your rear axle supports 4200 pounds, then the tires don't need to be inflated much over that amount to support that weight. 41 psi on a C, D or E tire supports 2115 pounds. 45 psi supports 2255 pounds. 48 psi supports 2385 pounds and 50 psi supports 2470 pounds per tire. The curve is not linear.

I have stock size 17" KO2s on my truck and wore them down pretty good by under-inflating them the first few months or so of ownership. Then I put them up to 49-50 psi for about 35K miles and they wore down a 1/32 more in the center (slightly over-inflated) and finally BFG revised their recommended pressure for our trucks from 50 PSI to 42 PSI. I keep mine at 46 PSI cold for a little bit better economy.
Ok sounds good. I filled mine to 50psi last night and am going to do a test run today where I’ll adjust as needed. Like I said my biggest worry was over stressing the Yukon while towing with lower pressure tires. A real “duh” moment for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

12yukphil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I tow I inflate up to 40 or 45, the trailer tires up to 60 psi.

One guy who tows says he chaulks the tires and drives over. A board or something to see the tread pattern, then adjusts the pressure according to the tread pattern. (It should be evenly distributed. )

Keep in mind, this is truly not an exact science. Your tire pressure will increase quite a bit once the tires warm up. you want a minimum pressure for safe driving and tire wear, but dont start fussing about getting it within a single psi It will vary as it warms up
I did the chalk test today at 50psi and it wore perfect side to side. I think I’ll stay here unless something changes while towing

OP
OP

12yukphil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
your running the lt version of the at3w ouch. i thought the regular at3w were harsh compared to my regular tires on my old tahoe. do you feel every pebble you run over?
Aired up to 50psi and I did feel a difference. It was firmer but not to the point where I’d want to change. I might change it up while towing

Reaction score
Yes, if your rear axle supports 4200 pounds, then the tires don't need to be inflated much over that amount to support that weight. 41 psi on a C, D or E tire supports 2115 pounds. 45 psi supports 2255 pounds. 48 psi supports 2385 pounds and 50 psi supports 2470 pounds per tire. The curve is not linear.

I have stock size 17" KO2s on my truck and wore them down pretty good by under-inflating them the first few months or so of ownership. Then I put them up to 49-50 psi for about 35K miles and they wore down a 1/32 more in the center (slightly over-inflated) and finally BFG revised their recommended pressure for our trucks from 50 PSI to 42 PSI. I keep mine at 46 PSI cold for a little bit better economy.
Wow, lots of info there!

I know we're talking truck and not P tires, but my OE 20" Alenza is rated at 2403 lbs @ 44 psi. GM says to run them at 32, but when looking at the tread, or doing a chalk test, higher psi, about 36-38, seems to work better for getting an even tread pattern on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
31-32 cold should get one around 35-37 hot, @ least it does for me in my AO

Reaction score
Unless you fill your tires with nitrogen. That doesn't get effected by temperature

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ true about nitrogen, but that doesnt seem to be readily avail around me.
& the one place that i saw had it... was overcharging for their service.

KatGV

Reaction score
I have BFG K02s and when I get my tires rotated Costco always outs the tire pressure at 40 lbs and it rides like on rocks... we immediately put them down to the 36 on the door jamb and it much better ride and I always get at least 60 thousand miles out of the tires. i'm not sure about towing pressure. good luck

Hey everyone
Question.
I have the hd tow package which allows 8200 lbs of towing.
I ride on Falken wildpeak at3w with a sidewalk of 80psi max cold.
The door jamb states 35.
What should i be riding on during normal driving and more importantly what should i inflate to while towing.
I notified that towing with 35 psi was not ideal
Thanks for the reply’s

philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts