Tips and tricks to have a nice ride.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

koachdaddy

Reaction score
Good info. I didn't know there was a delete for the vacuum pump! So, I put it into the Google machine and found an excellent writeup on the silverado forum along with a video. Super simple to do, block off plugs already ordered. Thanks for sharing!

NOTE- since I'm using a catch-can and didn't want to disturb those hoses, I had to figure out a separate vacuum source. Let me tell ya, the MIT port (before the throttle body) ain't it! Almost cruised right through a stop light as the 'power' in power brakes wasn't there. Ended up buying/tapping a throttle body spacer to get sufficient vacuum pressure needed to function properly.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could
NOTE- since I'm using a catch-can and didn't want to disturb those hoses, I had to figure out a separate vacuum source. Let me tell ya, the MIT port (before the throttle body) ain't it! Almost cruised right through a stop light as the 'power' in power brakes wasn't there. Ended up buying/tapping a throttle body spacer to get sufficient vacuum pressure needed to function properly.
you provide a link to the throttle body spacer you bought for this? I’d like to do the same but anything I’m finding that’s for these isn’t thick enough to drill/tap for a connection.

koachdaddy

Reaction score
Could you provide a link to the throttle body spacer you bought for this? I’d like to do the same but anything I’m finding that’s for these isn’t thick enough to drill/tap for a connection.

Yeah, I ran into the same problem and bought an Airaid at American Trucks. Pricey indeed, but purchased from them for various reasons (mil discount and had a credit balance).
Purchased a tap/die set from Harbor Freight and attempted to perform in a vice...bad decision. Watched a couple how-to vids for my 'YouTube certification' (lol) on tapping aluminum and found using a drill press, motor OFF, and hand feeding the pressure while rotating the cresent wrench was the way to go.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran into the same problem and bought an Airaid at American Trucks. Pricey indeed, but purchased from them for various reasons (mil discount and had a credit balance).
Purchased a tap/die set from Harbor Freight and attempted to perform in a vice...bad decision. Watched a couple how-to vids for my 'YouTube certification' (lol) on tapping aluminum and found using a drill press, motor OFF, and hand feeding the pressure while rotating the cresent wrench was the way to go.

PERFECT! Thanks so much! One other question….i know the hose would be a 3/8” ID vacuum rated hose…so the male end for the hose would be 3/8…what size did you tap the spacer for? 1/8 NPT or 1/4 NPT? I guess either would work assuming the spacer is thick enough to allow it…but is a 1/8” NPT too small of an orifice hole for enough vacuum? Or should it be 1/4” NPT to allow enough flow/vacuum for the brake booster volume?

koachdaddy

Reaction score
PERFECT! Thanks so much! One other question….i know the hose would be a 3/8” ID vacuum rated hose…so the male end for the hose would be 3/8…what size did you tap the spacer for? 1/8 NPT or 1/4 NPT? I guess either would work assuming the spacer is thick enough to allow it…but is a 1/8” NPT too small of an orifice hole for enough vacuum? Or should it be 1/4” NPT to allow enough flow/vacuum for the brake booster volume?

Ah yes, more Harbor Freight purchases. 3 different sizes came in the kit and I chose the 1/4" NPT for use with a 3/8's hose...similar to the stock setup to ensure proper vacuum pressure.

Good link JIC you haven't watched any yet:

tap/die set: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pipe-tap-die-set-91395.html

3/8" 1/4" NPT used: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-professional-air-hose-repair-kit-5-piece-63957.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts