Tips and tricks to have a nice ride.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just bought a new to me 17” Tahoe LT with 40K miles and wanted to know what are your recommendations about preventive mechanical or electrical work to do to be free of issues, thanks.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live in an area where they use salt, keep up on prevention with fluid film, or equivalent. This alone will help prevent TONS of issues down the road, and make repairs underneath easier. Stick to service intervals on the 5k mark for oil, 40-50k for transmission and transfer case, 75k for differentials, and the list can go on.

Disable AFM, or plan to change oil very religiously. Install updated trans thermostat (or bypass - many good threads) to help your 6 speed last past 100k.

OP
OP
D

Diego93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you live in an area where they use salt, keep up on prevention with fluid film, or equivalent. This alone will help prevent TONS of issues down the road, and make repairs underneath easier. Stick to service intervals on the 5k mark for oil, 40-50k for transmission and transfer case, 75k for differentials, and the list can go on.

Disable AFM, or plan to change oil very religiously. Install updated trans thermostat (or bypass - many good threads) to help your 6 speed last past 100k.
Thank you so much, i’ll look on the forum threads to start doing the mods

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Nice find, and I'm sure that you will be happy with it.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like AC in the summer and the condenser has not been replaced, it will die. Plan on it.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With no warranty I'd disable the AFM cylinder de-activation, get a tune module to improve the torque converter lockup, and do a trans. filter, fluid change, and put the revised trans cooling control valve as mentioned above. Should have a long term reliable machine with this.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just bought a new to me 17” Tahoe LT with 40K miles and wanted to know what are your recommendations about preventive mechanical or electrical work to do to be free of issues, thanks.
preventative maintenance is helpful, if you address known things at the proper intervals this reduces the chances of a breakdown or more costly repairs.
things like "coolant" ya the manual says it is good for 100k miles, but that is total BS.
you know little things like brake fluid, did you know that brake fluid is "clear"? take the brake fluid reservoir cap off and look in there, I can assure it is not clear, it is burnt and black.
unless by chance it has been flushed recently.
differential gear oil is also mostly clear "more golden" actually, not black.... or glittery, lol
at 40k I would flush or have everything flushed, coolant, brake, differntials, transmission, new belts, inspect wiring especially in engine compartment and anywere else it can rub.
clean the intake, inspect the brakes, check for leaks, check tires for unusual wear, look for nails, screws. inspect the suspension/bushings. check and clean battery terminals/test battery. check starter cable (these can get burnt) there are some out there with poor insulation.

Last edited:

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great advice above. As mentioned if I had bought a used vehicle I would absolutely go through and replace all the fluids..drop the trans pan and do a fluid/filter replacement not just a fluid flush/replace like the dealers do. And absolutely disable the AFM either via a plug in device like a Range AFM disabler or better yet via a tune. And get the Surecool thermostat bypass for the transmission.

koachdaddy

Reaction score
Everything above and a couple not mentioned previously:
Vacuum pump delete- more prevalent in the earlier years, but there was a TSB (recall?) issued to replace them. For me, the idea of the chineasm piece self-destructing and sending shrapnel into the engine was enough to warrant the delete. Especially since they aren't used on Vettes/Maro's and the OEM block-off plug kit is literally $10.
Catch can- do your own research and make an informed decision. Catching a couple ounces of oil between oil changes is that much not getting cooked onto the intake valves.
Headlight switch- I need full control of the headlights and removed the spring which automatically returns the switch from OFF to AUTO.
OnStar delete- controversial, but perform in-depth research and make an informed decision on GM's 'safety services' and everything that comes with the program.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything above and a couple not mentioned previously:
Vacuum pump delete- more prevalent in the earlier years, but there was a TSB (recall?) issued to replace them. For me, the idea of the chineasm piece self-destructing and sending shrapnel into the engine was enough to warrant the delete. Especially since they aren't used on Vettes/Maro's and the OEM block-off plug kit is literally $10.
Catch can- do your own research and make an informed decision. Catching a couple ounces of oil between oil changes is that much not getting cooked onto the intake valves.
Headlight switch- I need full control of the headlights and removed the spring which automatically returns the switch from OFF to AUTO.
OnStar delete- controversial, but perform in-depth research and make an informed decision on GM's 'safety services' and everything that comes with the program.
Good info. I didn't know there was a delete for the vacuum pump! So, I put it into the Google machine and found an excellent writeup on the silverado forum along with a video. Super simple to do, block off plugs already ordered. Thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar