Tint suggestion/opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stanky

Reaction score
TL;DR at the bottom.

Currently running what I thought was 20% tint on my front two windows. Went to the shop I always go to (for the past 8 years, even though it’s 65 miles from home) to get my inspection done per usual. Turns out they denied me for my tint which was never an issue before. So I drove the 65 miles back to my area and started going from shop to shop. I went to a total of 6 shops today. 2 flat out denied me, 4 tested the tint and 3 of those denied me. Each test spit out a different reading. The results were 22%, 11%, 12% and 16%. Are these readers really that inaccurate or is there something I’m missing?

Anyways, the sixth shop decided to do my inspection but for an extra $100 so I agreed. Turns out my AFM disabler threw the computer off and rejected the inspection and now I’ve got to drive it for 50 miles (without the AFM disabler) and go back. On the bright side, they’re still gonna help me out.

I started thinking how can I avoid having to deal with this in the future. My idea is that if I basically limo tint all the rear windows, add an ‘eyebrow’ across the windshield, and replace my existing front window tint with the legal 32%. Do you guys think this will suffice and make the front ones appear darker despite being legal?

TL;DR: Will going from 20% tint on front two windows to 32% + blacking out all rear windows and adding eyebrow on windshield produce a similar effect as far as how visible the interior is through the driver/passenger windows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yes

My 2011 had the same tint (20%) on the front side windows as my 2012 does, but all the rears had tint over the factory tint and made them about 5% and it mad the interior much darker and the front sides appear darker also.

Here's a pic of my 2011, and my 2012 is in my sig

Denali_1.jpg

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
TL;DR at the bottom.

Currently running what I thought was 20% tint on my front two windows. Went to the shop I always go to (for the past 8 years, even though it’s 65 miles from home) to get my inspection done per usual. Turns out they denied me for my tint which was never an issue before. So I drove the 65 miles back to my area and started going from shop to shop. I went to a total of 6 shops today. 2 flat out denied me, 4 tested the tint and 3 of those denied me. Each test spit out a different reading. The results were 22%, 11%, 12% and 16%. Are these readers really that inaccurate or is there something I’m missing?

Anyways, the sixth shop decided to do my inspection but for an extra $100 so I agreed. Turns out my AFM disabler threw the computer off and rejected the inspection and now I’ve got to drive it for 50 miles (without the AFM disabler) and go back. On the bright side, they’re still gonna help me out.

I started thinking how can I avoid having to deal with this in the future. My idea is that if I basically limo tint all the rear windows, add an ‘eyebrow’ across the windshield, and replace my existing front window tint with the legal 32%. Do you guys think this will suffice and make the front ones appear darker despite being legal?

TL;DR: Will going from 20% tint on front two windows to 32% + blacking out all rear windows and adding eyebrow on windshield produce a similar effect as far as how visible the interior is through the driver/passenger windows?

I would Say **** the system and get Limo tint all around. It looks good and looking good is all that matters.

Timers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
5% all the way around except windshield is the move.

It will fade over time and it's the best, you feel like you're in a cave.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hated the 5% at night, couldn't see anything around you that wasn't lit up.

It also wouldn't allow the mirrors to auto darken, which wasn't too bad if you have 5% on the fronts, but with 20% on the fronts those bright headlights behind you reflecting into your face from the un-dimmed side mirror gets annoying.... lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Stanky

Stanky

Reaction score
5% all the way around except windshield is the move.

It will fade over time and it's the best, you feel like you're in a cave.

also it'll help keep your car cool when you remote start it with your baby inside while you go into Walgreen's to get some paper towels;
I've found that the 10 minute remote start timer can even run out and dark tint can get you an extra 5-30 minutes of shopping time!
The problem is that the law enforcement has been cracking down on shops who have typically been lenient with illegal tint. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for a shop that would take the risk on me. I’m leaving my tint as is unless this shop goes out of business in the next year. Then I would possibly do what I described above.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish it were that way in Co. I actually got a tint ticket from a local cop in Aspen of all places. Talk about nothing else to do! [emoji23]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons