Three things I don't understand on current generation Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion gm hasn't built a good looking truck since NBS including Chevy and gmc but the 03-06 gmc looks best

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Older chevy C-10 trucks I once owned and adored now look ugly to me. No telling whether I will loathe my '23 Suburban's looks in a few years :lol2:

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current suburban fascia much more appealing than Yukon in my opinion; design decisions are made by committee with a lot of analysis/consideration given to target customers' tastes and preferences.

Sales numbers indicate that both designs find large amounts of takers - enough to drop a decent chunk of change on them.

The design of the third pillar, however, I totally agree with you. Not sure if the regulation is on the width of the pillar or the strength but current design completely shafts anyone in the third row (kids in my car) with having to look out the front windows/second row to see anything beyond a large wall of plastic - unless they're willing to crane their neck to a 90 degree angle to get a couple inches of outside view. For kids with carseats, the headrests even eliminates that extreme option.

While I appreciate safety, making a design choice like this that drastically inhibits rider comfort on 90% of rides (how often passengers in third row when vehicle driven) for something that will happen 0.0001% (1 in 10k rides - still hasn't happened to me in 20+ years driving) seems egregious.

I certainly wish they'd take notes from other makers on this one.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current suburban fascia much more appealing than Yukon in my opinion; design decisions are made by committee with a lot of analysis/consideration given to target customers' tastes and preferences.

Sales numbers indicate that both designs find large amounts of takers - enough to drop a decent chunk of change on them.

The design of the third pillar, however, I totally agree with you. Not sure if the regulation is on the width of the pillar or the strength but current design completely shafts anyone in the third row (kids in my car) with having to look out the front windows/second row to see anything beyond a large wall of plastic - unless they're willing to crane their neck to a 90 degree angle to get a couple inches of outside view. For kids with carseats, the headrests even eliminates that extreme option.

While I appreciate safety, making a design choice like this that drastically inhibits rider comfort on 90% of rides (how often passengers in third row when vehicle driven) for something that will happen 0.0001% (1 in 10k rides - still hasn't happened to me in 20+ years driving) seems egregious.

I certainly wish they'd take notes from other makers on this one.
I’d assert that there are NOT people in 3rd row on 90% of rides. Even when my kids were home, I’d say 3rd seat occupancy was in the 5% of drives or less. I had 2 kids.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the gmc lovers in here it is just a better looking front end in any trim level. It’s no wonder they are a changing the front ends on silverados to look more like the gmc. I will admit though the current Tahoe/suburban in RST trim is a very sharp looking ride but the rest of them are pretty blah.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this whole body style just looks bad but I usually get shut down whenever I say it. The body lines are just bad, especially on the SUVs. They are far from the handsome trucks they used to be. People keep claiming it’s the regulations that make them look like they do now but the Ram, F150, and Expedition are still good looking vehicles. Some of the Asian competition suffers from the same horrendous looks but some also look good. The SWB Expedition also fits in normal people’s garages as well, so that’s nice.

outkastist

Reaction score
I’d assert that there are NOT people in 3rd row on 90% of rides. Even when my kids were home, I’d say 3rd seat occupancy was in the 5% of drives or less. I had 2 kids.
I would say my experience is the other way around. I have 3 kids, and we use the third row most of the time. Only time it's not used is when I don't have the whole family with me.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90% was specifically for my case; I've got 4 kids with #5 on the way so the older 3 are permanent residents back there :) For drives with 0-2 kids, we're typically driving our sedan.