Thinking of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife and I are thinking about getting a Yukon/Tahoe. I found a 05 yukon SLT and they are saying it has the newly redisigned 6 speed??? I thought all the years until the new body style had the 4 speeds in them?

Also is there anything that is a common issue with them? We are looking and in our price range of under $9000 most of them have 150xxx Miles on them. Just want to know what I should look out for when I go and test drive them.

What is the real world mpg going to be on one with mostly highway driving? I use to have a durango with the 5.9 and got like 16, a explorer with the 4.6 and got higher 18's, now have a ****** 3v expedition that isn't running right and getting like 13

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off you couldn't get a 2001-2006 Tahoe/Yukon with a 6 speed...they were never offered and it is a lot of work to get one to work, so that's a red flag.

My wifes Tahoe was bought with 135k miles on it and now it has right under 180k miles on it. It has been a great vehicle man, so don't let the miles scare you away. In her Tahoe it gets between 18-19mpg on interstate trips. Sometimes it is 19.5 sometimes it is 18.2.

Overall they are great vehicles and I would buy a 2003+ just because the interior is nicer on the 03+.

Where are you located?

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep 4 speed auto in that year for sure. Higher mileage isn't a big deal if the maint. was kept with. These are solid vehicles with a few quirks but what vehicle doesn't have them. The air ride(auto level feature) usually goes bad but is eaily fixed. I don't think SLT's have it though. Also fuel pump failure happens at least once. The NBS(2001-2006) model is very reliable. I see about 16ish in the city and 21ish on the highway but I have a 6.0. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im from Kansas, a little south of Kansas city. Yeah the ad says its a 4 speed, but then I went on nada to look up the price my bank would finance and that is were I read the 6 speed

What is difference between the 02 *** 03+ interiors?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is difference between the 02 *** 03+ interiors?

a lot. double din radio, better dash/cluster, new electrical system, better center console, etc.

03-06 > 00-02 if I had to choose

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will start looking for the 03+ ones then. How will I tell if it has the air ride on it and if it doesn't, then it will be shocks and struts on the back? Don't really want to have to worry about air suspension if I don't have to

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The compressor is located on the driver's side rear behind the tire mounted on the frame rail. It usually has a rubber cover secured with push pins.

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Things to know about:
1-Expect to replace a couple of the steering components with that mileage, like the tie rods and idler/pitman arms. They are fairly cheap and start to wear out at that mileage. It's more of a tire-wear issue than safety.

2- Most people here have replaced their water pumps after 100,000 miles. They are relatively cheap as well and can be replaced in your driveway on a saturady.

3- You'll notice the steering wheel feels like it has a rattle to it. This is normal. The grease settles to the bottom of the intermediate steering shaft and produces a slight rattle sensation in the wheel. Not a safety issue though and chevy sells a kit to correct it if you so desire.

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. Now we have about 4 we are going to go and look at. What do you all think of them? I will put them in the order we like them

http://www.premierautokc.com/2004_Chevrolet_Chevrolet_Kansas City_MO_213285691.veh
I really don't know about the 22 inch wheel as I would want some all terrain, so might see if they would switch them for the z71 wheels on a suburban they have on the lot and lower the price. Has dvd and captain chairs, z71...I think we like this one the best.

http://www.randyblandusedcars.com/2004_Chevrolet_Chevrolet_Nevada_MO_209863006.veh
I like its a 1 owners and has both sets of keys. Also has the bench which we like more than the captain chairs and a DVD player.

http://www.superiorautogroupkc.com/2004_Chevrolet_Chevrolet_Kansas City_MO_212904848.veh
Price is $6999 with about 170K miles. Has aftermarket exhaust / wheels and is a z71

http://www.quallysautosales.com/2005_GMC_GMC_Olathe_KS_205185345.veh
Highest priced one, but also newest. Nothing really "extra" again

http://www.carspluscredit.com/used/gmc-yukon-slt-2004-TR2928.html
Probably the least favorite as it doesn't really have anything "extra"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flem2009