Thinking about purchasing a 00-06 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I’ve been a long time dodge fan since i turned 16 a while back, my 2013 4.7L RAM 1500 has almost 500K on her but that’s not what i’m here to talk about.

Back when i was a kid my parents had a (06?) blacked out Tahoe and i was absolutely in love with it, LTZ if i recall correctly and it was loaded. Recently i’ve been looking at them more, and i’m thinking about biting the bullet and purchasing one soon.

My question is, What’re the issues with these vehicles? What’s the main issues with the 5.3 aside from lifter problems, and the oil pick up o-ring? I won’t be getting a 4WD as i live in Cali, and what about the 4L60E in these vehicles, what should i look for on them?

I think the main reasons why i’m falling in love with this body style is from nostalgia, and from seeing someone on youtube called LSXMatt work on his, and i love it. I really wanna get my hands on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board and good choice on what is called the NBS (new body style). I too love them and looked for over a year for a nice clean one in my area, but I'm in NC so finding a nice one that old with no rust is a challenge. For me, finding one with no rust and had been well taken care of (maintenance records) was my top priority. Yes, the 4L60E transmission is looked at as a weak point but I still know of several that have went well over 200k. The engines in these things are solid as a rock if they've been halfway taken care of. Honestly, there isn't a lot of other major issues to look for but obviously regular maintenance on aging parts will be ongoing. This forum is amazing for helping in that area.

Good luck in your search and I'm sure it'll be worth it when you find the right one!

OP
OP
T

TheEnder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the board and good choice on what is called the NBS (new body style). I too love them and looked for over a year for a nice clean one in my area, but I'm in NC so finding a nice one that old with no rust is a challenge. For me, finding one with no rust and had been well taken care of (maintenance records) was my top priority. Yes, the 4L60E transmission is looked at as a weak point but I still know of several that have went well over 200k. The engines in these things are solid as a rock if they've been halfway taken care of. Honestly, there isn't a lot of other major issues to look for but obviously regular maintenance on aging parts will be ongoing. This forum is amazing for helping in that area.

Good luck in your search and I'm sure it'll be worth it when you find the right one!
I hope you find yours too, back when i lived in the “salty states” i hated buying used vehicles for that exact issue, rust. I really have 0 experience with the 5.3L or the 4L60 so we will see in time. Thank you for the response!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I own an 02 Tahoe with barn doors and could not be happier. In Oregon we have no rust issues. I hear my very slight lifter tick intermittently but the engine is strong. My 4L60E trans works flawlessly and I installed a Corvette servo for a firmer shift. I bought from a one owner and they had all maintenance and repair records for me. I looked for newer at one time but the seats are uncomfortable to me. Plus more plastic everywhere. I don't see myself getting rid of mine. I love the NBS and the handling and I just basically love my rig. If you do decide to buy one please post lots of pics and even before you pay for it, come here with any concerns and get opinions.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I’ve been a long time dodge fan since i turned 16 a while back, my 2013 4.7L RAM 1500 has almost 500K on her but that’s not what i’m here to talk about.

Back when i was a kid my parents had a (06?) blacked out Tahoe and i was absolutely in love with it, LTZ if i recall correctly and it was loaded. Recently i’ve been looking at them more, and i’m thinking about biting the bullet and purchasing one soon.

My question is, What’re the issues with these vehicles? What’s the main issues with the 5.3 aside from lifter problems, and the oil pick up o-ring? I won’t be getting a 4WD as i live in Cali, and what about the 4L60E in these vehicles, what should i look for on them?

I think the main reasons why i’m falling in love with this body style is from nostalgia, and from seeing someone on youtube called LSXMatt work on his, and i love it. I really wanna get my hands on one.

Got 295k out of a 4L60 its possible but rare. basically if the truck has ever towed more than a jet-ski you will never see that kind of miles. RWD is lighter, easy to work on and handle great. don't rush into buying one until you find what your looking for. I spent six weeks looking until I found one from Texas. Working on the Truck is almost fun everything comes apart.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

I also love the NBS. I have an 03 that I've modified a little bit. Great trucks. I also follow LSXMatt. I keep trying to get him to come over here lol.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GMT800 platform is awesome. I have a 2006 Yukon xl Denali and absolutely love it. If the budget can swing it, try and shop for a 2005 or 2006 model years as those two years in the platform for the change to electric cooling fans. They work much cheered than the clutch driven fan from the previous years and are much less prone to failure. It’s a big upgrade in my opinion. Whereabouts in California are you? I’m up in the socal mountains, so buying a 2WD truck was not an option, and I travel ALOT, especially to other ski areas. 2WD trucks were a lot less available when I was shopping around a few years back. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. Fortunately for us here in Cali rust isn’t a big issue. If you find one that’s lived it’s life near a beach there might be some minimal surface rust but that’s not anything really to cause concern. My truck lived it’s first nine years of life in Newport Beach and then the last 5 with me up in big bear and it still has just pretty minimal surface rust.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own an 02 Tahoe with barn doors and could not be happier. In Oregon we have no rust issues. I hear my very slight lifter tick intermittently but the engine is strong. My 4L60E trans works flawlessly and I installed a Corvette servo for a firmer shift. I bought from a one owner and they had all maintenance and repair records for me. I looked for newer at one time but the seats are uncomfortable to me. Plus more plastic everywhere. I don't see myself getting rid of mine. I love the NBS and the handling and I just basically love my rig. If you do decide to buy one please post lots of pics and even before you pay for it, come here with any concerns and get opinions.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.
I surely will do this in the future when i get my new (to me) Tahoe, and yeah, once i finally manage to save up she’s the first thing i’m buying. I’m planning on changing the color over to one of my all time favorite Chrysler colors, Maximum Steel Metallic, which is a heavily metallic dark grayish blue? And if push comes to shove she’ll get a new tranny/engine with no issues either. And i’ll take lots of pics of the before and after too.

I’m planning on installing the 2014 Silverados Z71 rims as i can’t stop starring at them, new badges, etc, and possible interior upgrades depending on what i get.

I know about the Chrysler - equivalent to the 4L60, the 65RFE that can either be a knock out of the park or a shit in the toilet-lol. But i don’t think i’ll have a big issue when most tahoe’s i’ve seen have over 100K on them. Thank you for this!

OP
OP
T

TheEnder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The GMT800 platform is awesome. I have a 2006 Yukon xl Denali and absolutely love it. If the budget can swing it, try and shop for a 2005 or 2006 model years as those two years in the platform for the change to electric cooling fans. They work much cheered than the clutch driven fan from the previous years and are much less prone to failure. It’s a big upgrade in my opinion. Whereabouts in California are you? I’m up in the socal mountains, so buying a 2WD truck was not an option, and I travel ALOT, especially to other ski areas. 2WD trucks were a lot less available when I was shopping around a few years back. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. Fortunately for us here in Cali rust isn’t a big issue. If you find one that’s lived it’s life near a beach there might be some minimal surface rust but that’s not anything really to cause concern. My truck lived it’s first nine years of life in Newport Beach and then the last 5 with me up in big bear and it still has just pretty minimal surface rust.
Yes! I’m aiming for a 2006, as i love the e-fans. I’m in the central valley, relatively close (3 hours) to Yosemite. And no rust is a MASSIVE plus...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts