Things I should expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Timee

Reaction score
I was about to say, at that mileage, the AFM system is a ticking time bomb if it's all original. I have no doubts that you keeping clean oil in it has gotten it this far. I was gonna suggest to at least start by replacing the usual suspect- the VLOM, with the updated design or having it disabled cuz you'd never miss the minimal increase in MPG, if any at all. It's cheaper and more reliable to have it disabled. How about that driver side valve cover? They updated that in 2010 as well to combat oil consumption. Do you track the consumption?
How much would a VLOM system be around usually? And I used to add less than a quart of oil but stopped paying attention since i've gotten my new truck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the part number for the updated one, but the ones I searched just now were $200-$300. Doesn't matter to you since you're disabling AFM- it's not needed. Deleting it from the tune can be done for as little as $50 plus shipping. Less than a quart between changes is really good. I'd still recommend the updated driver side valve cover if yours doesn't have it. I'd also recommend a catch can.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much would a VLOM system be around usually? And I used to add less than a quart of oil but stopped paying attention since i've gotten my new truck.

if you've turned it off in the tune, I don't think I'd replace the vlom, I'd go ahead with the rest of the bypass, which is blocking off the oil port going to the vlom, it's under the oil pressure sensor. done with a little spacer tapped in and then on the lifter side of the vlom solenoids you clip the gasket, so no oil pressure can back up between the lifter and the solenoids. that way you know nothing will every deactivate the lifters again, and that way no change of one getting stuck collapsed. at that point it's a normal valve train with a few heavier lifters. should last the life of the truck.

my 0.2 anyways.

sounds like you've taken good care of it. it does seem like the general consensus is you changed the old at the right time and it's held up well.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a few common 4L60E symptoms:

- slipping, especially in third (3/4 clutch pack fried)

- shuddering (Torque converter taking a dump)

- late harsh 1-2 shifts w dtc p1870 (valve body - can be fixed w/o removing trans)

- no forward movement in Drive but you can move forward in manual low or 2; reverse also works (input sprag failure)

- no movement at all in any position on the shifter (pump failure, stripped input shaft splines or tcase failure if a 4WD)

- loss of reverse, second and fourth gear (sun gear reaction shell failure or rear gear train failure)

The above list is not exhaustive and applies only to the 4L60e. If you have a six speed 6L80, I can give you a similar list applicable to that trans.
I don't want to highjack this thread but I do want to say that you have been very helpful since you have joined probably the best forum out there for us Chebby guys.
I like how detailed your info is and how responsive you are, kudos to you my friend.
If you don't mind could I PM you with a few questions in regard to my transmission? I guess I could start a thread, but this issue has been going on for quite some time. I only bring this up because of this "- shuddering (Torque converter taking a dump)"
Really I just wanted to say thank you for your time and info:cheers:

Reaction score
I don't want to highjack this thread but I do want to say that you have been very helpful since you have joined probably the best forum out there for us Chebby guys.
I like how detailed your info is and how responsive you are, kudos to you my friend.
If you don't mind could I PM you with a few questions in regard to my transmission? I guess I could start a thread, but this issue has been going on for quite some time. I only bring this up because of this "- shuddering (Torque converter taking a dump)"
Really I just wanted to say thank you for your time and info:cheers:
You're welcome, glad I can help.

Please start a new thread in whichever subforum for your vehicle's year in "Engine and Drivetrain" and mention me in the first post. I'd prefer that over private message as everyone has visibility to the issue and responses.

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, glad I can help.

Please start a new thread in whichever subforum for your vehicle's year in "Engine and Drivetrain" and mention me in the first post. I'd prefer that over *** as everyone has visibility to the issue and responses.
Great, I'd prefer it to be posted as well, I'll post it this afternoon.
Been around for a while but have no idea how to mention someone. How do you mention someone?

Reaction score
Great, I'd prefer it to be posted as well, I'll post it this afternoon.
Been around for a while but have no idea how to mention someone. How do you mention someone?
Like this: @992dr

Put the "@" then start typing the individual's user name and it will pop up - just click on it and that will post the "mention"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter