Thermostats—- 160* vs 187*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonesy92

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe Original Eng/Trans.
298k miles
—Had a recent issue, replaced my failing thermostat, and installed a new one. Temp got up to 187-192, and it never ran that hot. I now also have misfires, lean codes, and hesitation that I didn’t have before. Nothings changed, except the thermostat.
I am wondering, from my past experience, I got a flex fuel fuel filter, which did not fit my truck, and am wondering if they sold me the incorrect/ or flex fuel thermo.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
normal operating temp is 210, so the t stat should not be the issue. try the right fuel filter who knows it might be restricting the fuel and running lean and causing the misfires.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to the original thermostat? Running hot? Head gasket?

OP
OP
Jonesy92

Jonesy92

Reaction score
When I bought the truck, the thermo was a 160, but it was worn out, eaten away.
Verifying operating temp I am using my obd2 scanner. I’ve had a compression check done, and also a leak down. Compression check showed well within 10% of each other, and within spec. Leak down was inconclusive and showed no issues. I’ve even bought a smoke tester to check the intake. No luck their either.
Fuel filter was changed, along with fuel pump less than 10k miles ago with the correct one.
I owned a 02 and it ran under 210 for sure. I figure maybe they gave me a higher temp thermo, causing the fuel to almost vaporize before combustion.

OP
OP
Jonesy92

Jonesy92

Reaction score
only reason I suspect the thermo, is I either read an article about the flex vs non flex, and I read they updated to 187* thermo for engine performance/efficiency.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any difference in thermostat temps between Flex and non-Flex. They're both OE 187° temp thermostats. Like @Scottydoggs noted, these engines normally run north of 200°. If you run them cooler than that they're less efficient.

OP
OP
Jonesy92

Jonesy92

Reaction score
I’d have to check when The wife comes home from work. I do have a fuel pressure gauge on its way here for the fuel rail.
Im not having any lean codes, after replacing intake gasket set, and knock sensors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia