There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Something I forgot to post about yesterday. The morning started out normal and I was out the door to go get the headliner in. My retired friend has a shop that he shares with his friends. The entrance is right off the street and you have to punch in a code to open up the gate. I had pulled over to allow traffic to get by and I turned on the flashers. I noticed that the flashers did not turn on and at the same time, the red brake light came on. I pulled in thru the gate and in to the shop. The brake pedal is solid and functioning normally. The brake fluid is full and clean. Press and hold pressure on pedal and no drips from under vehicle. Brake lights not stuck on. When watching the light, it gets brighter when you start to set the parking brake. Pulling up on the pedal makes no difference. Resetting the flashers button and releasing, makes no difference. Strange thing is that this all happened when trying to set the flashers on. Everything was ok till then. Did the headliner work and the drive home had no problems, except the brake light was still on. I know that the brake light circuit goes thru the turn signal switch, so that the brake lights work when turn signals are on. Gonna have to do some inspection today and pull the steering wheel and see if there is anything obvious down in there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Recently changed out the taillight assemblies and all bulbs are working as they should.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those multifunction/turnsignal stalks are a problem area. I had an issue on my '97 GT, where I constantly heard the "ticking" as though I was signalling, and when I pressed the brake pedal it would stop. When I replaced it, my cruise control worked again, which a was a huge bonus

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Those multifunction/turnsignal stalks are a problem area. I had an issue on my '97 GT, where I constantly heard the "ticking" as though I was signalling, and when I pressed the brake pedal it would stop. When I replaced it, my cruise control worked again, which a was a huge bonus
All that works. Just the hazards not turning on. and red brake light on at dash. The 4 ways turn on by pushing the button on the steering column at about 4 o'clock on the p/s.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, all I had to do was stop over thinking the problem. Because it did not happen till I pushed in on the hazard light switch, I assumed the worst but I was wrong. Turns out that it had 2 simple problems. The 2 prong hazard flasher had a corroded prong and there was a 10 amp brake light fuse that was blown. I replaced the flasher after cleaning the female connector and since the radio does not work and takes the same 10 amp fuse, I swapped it in the slot and now the brake lights work, the hazard flashers work and the red brake light at the dash is out and does it's self test when I start the vehicle and goes out. All good now. Apparently, I was in a rush on the headliner and did not check for brake lights at the shop yesterday and drove home with no brake lights. All good and only cost for the flasher.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Next is the transmission cooling lines replacement.

That will be interesting. Went to replace them on my '92 K1500 and they are no longer available by aftermarket sources. Like an idiot, I threw out the old, leaking lines with the threaded fittings attached.

Had I thought about it, I could have flared the stub of each line and used an AN adapter and had an easier time fitting new lines.

As it was, I had to search for a source that sold the correct fittings and do a push lock connection. Talk about making more work for myself...!

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That will be interesting. Went to replace them on my '92 K1500 and they are no longer available by aftermarket sources. Like an idiot, I threw out the old, leaking lines with the threaded fittings attached.

Had I thought about it, I could have flared the stub of each line and used an AN adapter and had an easier time fitting new lines.

As it was, I had to search for a source that sold the correct fittings and do a push lock connection. Talk about making more work for myself...!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

If you go to inline tube, ebay stores, it shows the preformed 1/2 ton K1500 lines for 700R4 BUT when I open the inline tube site, for some reason it will not load the ability to put in the vehicle info.

Will likely have to contact them on Monday and tell them the site is messed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoshi101