The "While It's Apart Repair"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those happen to you also?

This seems to be the case on my Tahoe.

Started with the oil pan gasket, figured, while I was in there, might as well do the oil pump, as teh truck has 205K on it.

The oil pan gasket leak seemed to be the front cover, so took that off, and while it's apart, looking at the timing chain and getting the input, decided, might as well do that as well.

Since the timing cover needed the water pump taken off, and I'm guessing it has at least 100K miles on it, decided to do a new one as they are fairly inexpensive. And since I"m doing the water pump, and I know the hoses haven't been done in at least 60K miles, replacing the upper and lower and by pass hoses as well as the thermostat and new thermostat housing.

And, while the belt was off, the idler pulley seemed a little noisy and the tensioner seemed weak, so might as well do those while it's apart.

Does this happen to anyone else? This isn't the only car it's happened to me on ha ha ha

But, I have no car payment, so a few hundred bucks for some new parts at least seems worth it.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I hear you. The next job will be a complete front and rear suspension rebuild.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's only money. I ALWAYS double my estimate of parts money needed to even attempt to cover what I may get in to and sometimes I should have tripled it. I have no vehicle payments, I live where I work and pay no rent or utilities, I just got a $400 a month pay raise and was already doing just fine and I also have been collecting my full social security for almost 2 years now. I drink but I can't drink this money away and I actually only eat once or twice a day. I have one credit card and a debit card. I ALWAYS spend money on my rigs like they are to be worshiped. My wife passed so I have no one else to worship. At least I haven't gone overboard and named my rig, YET!

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only taken a car in for a repair a couple of times in the last 20 years. And that was last year due to the amount of work for the repair needed, not having the time to do it, and not having all the right tools (Engine needed to come out for some of it in my wife's Enclave).

We have no car payments, but we are putting away for a newer car in the next 2-3 years. Which will most likely be for my wife and be the family hauler.

the ones taht are considered "my cars" are all older. My 2000 Tahoe with 205K miles, a 2003 Saab 9-5 with 166k miles. And a 2010 Saab 9-5 with 185K. All of them need a little something, but they are all paid for :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like knowing the only bills I have are my one credit card, my Comcast, my vehicle insurance, cell phone.....that's it. The rest of the money I spend is because I created the need to spend it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know all about the while it’s apart issue. I’ve been into every single part of my 02 from the interior to the drivetrain, one end to the other. It’s the way to do it imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9