The infamous oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had oil leaking down the back side of the engine, dripping out just in front of the bell housing. It turned out to be a leaky oil pressure sensor. It is located behind the intake manifold. These things fail quite often. Mine stopped reporting pressure properly some time before it started leaking. Just a thought for something else to check.

I removed by intake manifold in desparation as a last ditch chance it wasn't my rear main seal. I could not be 100% sure it was not my pressure switch without removing the intake and I have had to change them before on small block chevys. It wasn't the culprit on mine but I got to do a major cleaning of the intake manifold and ports......Why is that engine set so damn far back in a truck this big? The rear cylinders are under the freaking cowl....

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Just spent a bus-load of money, 4 trips to the mechanic, and about a week total of the truck being down tracking down all my leaks. They'd fix one and find another. It was ridiculous. Basically, after almost 170k miles, just about everything that could leak, did leak.

Holding my breath we got it all. I could've almost completely replaced the engine for the amount I'm into the parts and shop time.

LOL... The only seal not changed on my truck right now is the front main and timing cover. I did everything else chasing the rear main leak. At least I did all the work on mine myself so I had just had a lot of time and the money for parts into it and not big shop bills.

AZ-Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why is that engine set so damn far back in a truck this big? The rear cylinders are under the freaking cowl....

Funny you mention that. When I replaced the oil pressure sensor in my Yukon I found it to be identical to my Corvette (2000 vs. 2003 Yukon). It is amazing how similar the engines are, including how far back they sit! I expect it in a Corvette, not so much in a truck. Not to mention they both use the same crappy oil pressure sensor. They both stopped reporting pressure correctly within 6 months of replacing them. I have max pressure without the engine even turned on!

Dberdusco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
12 hours OMG..... Sorry I'm a professional transmission mechanic... And I can have that baby in and out in an hour........ So even 4 hours was high....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 hours OMG..... Sorry I'm a professional transmission mechanic... And I can have that baby in and out in an hour........ So even 4 hours was high....

In and out in an 1 hour? That I'd like to see!!! That just fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the dealer took about that long doing the same job on my 08 and I had to bring it back twice. Thats exactly why I do everything myself. I take my time, I clean stuff up before I put it back on and everything goes back on exactly as it came off.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a tech can do the rear main in an hour then I expect these jobs are grossly overpriced. I can't recall prices I have read on it, but since it is a dreaded repair bill it must be a hefty charge. If so, then why wouldn't it cost 100 or so to fix a rear main? Must be a nice padding in these jobs for techs. If it can be done so fast, I wonder what the book rate is? 5hrs? And then 4hrs or so is profit or what?

Hmmmm........

live2pipe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any tips or advise on unbolting the bell housing to get access to the rear main? I've replaced every possible gasket/sensor and still have a massive leak (1-2 quarts per week). The only thing left to replace on my 02 Denali is the RMS and cover gasket. I haven't gotten underneath to look yet but I'm imagining getting access the bell housing bolts near the top are going to be a PITA!!!!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A very long extension after the rear cross member has been removed and the tail shaft has dropped down a bit.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
LOL... Jesus Christ clips is what we call them in the trade.

As in "Jesus Christ! Where the hell did that clip fly off to?"

As you do them more and more you learn you can easily slide them off and grab them before lift-off. LOL

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Any tips or advise on unbolting the bell housing to get access to the rear main? I've replaced every possible gasket/sensor and still have a massive leak (1-2 quarts per week). The only thing left to replace on my 02 Denali is the RMS and cover gasket. I haven't gotten underneath to look yet but I'm imagining getting access the bell housing bolts near the top are going to be a PITA!!!!

A very long extension after the rear cross member has been removed and the tail shaft has dropped down a bit.

Yep. Pull out the lower bolts on a trans jack and when ready, lower the trans jack down. This will give you access to the top bolts. Pop those out and go back up with the trans jack a bit to slide it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcutter004