Temp Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bsharp1223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. Was hoping for some insight. My temp gauge doesn’t seem to be working after My son and I have been working on our 2003 z71 Tahoe. Replaced the oil pan gasket. We dropped the steering center link to get the front diff back in. While we were there, we replaced idler and pitman arms. Had steering wheel secured during the pitman arm replace but somehow broke the clock spring and air bag light is on. Air bag light not the reason for post but just wanted to include most recent history.

Noticing the temp gauge never moves up from starting position. Replaced engine cooling temp sensor but still nothing on the gauge. Would a bad sensor or bad wiring harness pigtail cause a check engine light? There is no CEL on.

The gauge cluster is a little “moody” but I’ve never had this issue out of it. Is it possible maybe the gauge cluster just coincidentally started having that issue right when we were doing repairs? I’m worried about driving it because I don’t want to overheat anything but at a loss. Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, could be coincidence. You said, "cooling temp sensor". Sensor is for engine/computer. Sender is for gauge. What is the location of the one you replaced? Could also be the pigtail.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you unplug the pigtail and ground the connector and the gauge pegs full hot, that means the pigtail should be good and the sender is likely bad. If does not peg, it could be gauge.

The sender will be on side of d/s head at front. Battery cables in way.

OP
OP
B

Bsharp1223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, could be coincidence. You said, "cooling temp sensor". Sensor is for engine/computer. Sender is for gauge. What is the location of the one you replaced? Could also be the pigtail.
Yeah I guess not 100% sure on the terminology. It was on the right side of the engine. Sort of below where the alternator is mounted

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you mean right side as the driver's side? That is the left side. Side of vehicle is always referenced by when you sit behind steering wheel.

OP
OP
B

Bsharp1223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I’ve been standing in the front of that engine bay long enough that it’s affected my sense of direction! Drivers side is what I meant. So the left side.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Left side front side of head, is the sender location. Try the pigtail ground test to see if gauge pegs. Plus, if you have a infra red temp gun you can see what the temp is at the sender area and at the thermostat area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts