Temp gauge question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've starting noticing over the past couple weeks that when I first start driving my vehicle, the temp gauge slowly creeps up to 210, then almost immediately drops down to 180-190 and then stays around 195ish until I turn the vehicle off. Then when I start it up again, it creeps back up to 210, then it will go down and settle at 195. I can drive it for a half hour, or hour after it initially hit 210 and will never go back up that high. Coolant levels are good, and the thermostat was just replaced when I had my engine rebuilt. Anyone else experience this, or have any ideas what could be causing it?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt engine?? More specs ... did you hook up all the bypasses like they were before??

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's working just fine. The thermostat opens at 195, but the temp sensor is in the cylinder head (driver side, middle) so it will get a little warmer until the 'stat opens. Mine has acted this way since the day it was made.

The reason you notice that is because GM was smart and put gauges in their vehicles that actually work! Most manufacturers (Chrysler, Ford, etc) put "gauges" in their cars that sense the engine is warming, so the needle does a predetermined move to normal, then stays rock solid until something bad happens. To see what I'm talking about, find a Ford pickup with an oil pressure gauge, start it, then watch the oil pressure gauge in your finely crafted GM. The Ford's will hit the middle of its travel in 1/4 second, and not move for as long as the motor is running. The GM will wait until there is oil pressure, then vary as the motor warms and revs change.

OP
OP
K

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, probably just me being a little paranoid that something was wrong after I just dropped a *** of cash into the engine. I'm swapping out the stock plastic tank radiator next week for a 3 row all-aluminum one, hopefully that helps with the cooling as well.

OP
OP
K

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure to use stuff that's safe for aluminum, or better yet, waterless coolant.

Was planning on using Prestone concentrate, and mixing my own with distilled water. That should be alright I thought? Right on the jug it says it's safe for aluminum. I couldn't find a copper/brass radiator for our vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA