Taller tire on 18” stock wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Time for new tires. I have a 17 yukon slt with stock 18’s and stock height with 265/65’s. Most of the bigger tire threads include rigs with leveling kit. What are some taller tire sizes that will work to help fill the well?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Try tire rack’s tire size calculator to see how other tire sizes compare to yours.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.
Your website calculator leaves out one very important measurement that is usually the limiting factor on our trucks......horizontal clearance from the tire to the plastic fender lining. I.E. do the tires rub the fender linings when you make a turn. I would venture a guess that most issues occur there.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for new tires. I have a 17 yukon slt with stock 18’s and stock height with 265/65’s. Most of the bigger tire threads include rigs with leveling kit. What are some taller tire sizes that will work to help fill the well?
I think a lot of guys have run 275/65's with no issues as they are only 1/8" taller than the 275/55-20's that came from the factory.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your website calculator leaves out one very important measurement that is usually the limiting factor on our trucks......horizontal clearance from the tire to the plastic fender lining. I.E. do the tires rub the fender linings when you make a turn. I would venture a guess that most issues occur there.

As stated in my original reply, the calculator worked for me, including the fender liner clearance. Of course, everybody's experience is different, but eliminating a rub with the fender liner is generally very easy to fix.

OP
OP
G

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think a lot of guys have run 275/65's with no issues as they are only 1/8" taller than the 275/55-20's that came from the factory.
Ok thanks. I’ll probably be shopping for some 275’s

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/70/18 with a 1.5/.75 mild level on stock LT 18s...

Attachments

• 20210709_030559.jpg
    20210709_030559.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210708_162616.jpg
    20210708_162616.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep