Tahoe vs Yukon pricing and predicted reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tipsy McStagger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m out looking at Yukon’s and Tahoe’s (mostly 2016 - 2018 model years) and have a couple of questions:

1- The JD Power reliability ratings for the Tahoe are consistently higher than the Yukon - in some years significantly higher. This really surprised me as I figured that these cousins would be almost the same. Is this BS or is there really a reliability gap between the two vehicles?

2- I’m seeing a lot of 2016/2017 with 60k to 90k miles in the $35k to $40k range where I live. I have my eye on two:

- 2017 Yukon SLT with 76k miles for $35k. Is in nice shape, minor accident reported (rear bumper) but other than that seemed fine when I test drove it.

- 2016 Tahoe LT with 50k miles for $37k. Is in really nice shape with no accidents reported. Heated rear captains seats and premium rims.

The top end of my budget was $35k but an extra $2k for a lower mileage vehicle seems like a good idea. My only real concern with the Tahoe is I would be financing a 6 year old vehicle for 5-6 more years and potentially having payments on a 10-12 year old vehicle. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only assume the rated difference's is one is more popular than the other, under the skin they are identical.
make extra payments on the principal and you can pay it off much faster, lowering the principal lowers the interest and overall cost and it will be paid off quicker.
make a regular payment on the due date and then pay as much as you can on the principal the same day

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, buy some time and wait for the market to correct to more realistic pricing. If what you have isn't nickel and diming you, just run it since it's paid for and make it 'pay you' so to speak.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see the ratings and complaint numbers, (Tahoe low, Escalade high and Yukon in the middle) it makes me wonder if it's problems with the special features, or gadgets that are what their owners complaints are regarding, because Tahoe's are generally slightly more basic and the Escalade getting the kitchen sink, so to speak. Dunno ?

OP
OP
T

Tipsy McStagger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I currently own a 2016 MB GLE-350 and my main reason for looking at the Tahoe/Yukon is to have more room when I pull my boat. The MB can handle the tow weight but we could use a little bit more space. Then again, I’ve never pulled the boat with the MB as it pretty much stays at my marina year round. I baby it quite a bit and have rented Uhaul pickups when I’ve needed to move it for service, etc.

It appears that used car prices are coming down but are still inflated. If vehicles like I mentioned are going to be cheaper later in the year then it may be best to wait. I’ve seen articles that say used cars may drop 10-20% in 2023 as new vehicle production ramps up and lots return to normal inventory levels.

I‘ve been to both Chevy and GMC dealers and no one had a good explanation for the discrepancy in reliability ratings. The reasoning that the extra features/gadgets on the Yukons is the reason for the decreased reliability is as good as anything that I’ve heard this far.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some leg & back problems so can't spend more than 60 minutes riding in or driving the wifey's '15 GLE350, its cabin and seats are a little suffocating for my tastes... I even test drove a GLS-450 hoping it would meet my needs, but sadly no.

OP
OP
T

Tipsy McStagger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you mean ‘15 ML-350? They rebadged the ML to GLE in 2016 so that was its first model year. I love the ride and performance of my GLE but I‘m not all that big of a guy either.

Maybe the 8 speed transmission on the Yukon is a major reason for the reliability discrepancy? I don’t see that it was used for the Tahoe but maybe I’m mistaken?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m out looking at Yukon’s and Tahoe’s (mostly 2016 - 2018 model years) and have a couple of questions:

1- The JD Power reliability ratings for the Tahoe are consistently higher than the Yukon - in some years significantly higher. This really surprised me as I figured that these cousins would be almost the same. Is this BS or is there really a reliability gap between the two vehicles?

2- I’m seeing a lot of 2016/2017 with 60k to 90k miles in the $35k to $40k range where I live. I have my eye on two:

- 2017 Yukon SLT with 76k miles for $35k. Is in nice shape, minor accident reported (rear bumper) but other than that seemed fine when I test drove it.

- 2016 Tahoe LT with 50k miles for $37k. Is in really nice shape with no accidents reported. Heated rear captains seats and premium rims.

The top end of my budget was $35k but an extra $2k for a lower mileage vehicle seems like a good idea. My only real concern with the Tahoe is I would be financing a 6 year old vehicle for 5-6 more years and potentially having payments on a 10-12 year old vehicle. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Go for the low miles. The GMC owners may not be as "vocal" about reporting issues as the Chevy owners. If you look at the accident ratings on the IHHS website, the Chevys have worse ratings than the GMCs and I can really only attribute that to the kinds of people who drive them.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean ‘15 ML-350? They rebadged the ML to GLE in 2016 so that was its first model year.
The "model W166" (ML-350/GLE-350) was built from 2011-2019, MB simply shuffled around some letters, ours are essentially the same :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972