Tahoe vs Tacoma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I have all but finished the deal where I am trading in my 2016 SR5 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 (50k miles) in for a 2013 4x4 Chevrolet Tahoe LT (85k miles).

I bought the Tacoma new and had wanted one since my dad sold Toyota trucks in the late 1980s. But once I got it, other than tons of compliments, I was under-impressed. Plus, I am 6 foot tall and I always felt a bit awkward in the Tacoma.

I like cars that will last and from my research the 2013 was relatively problem free and the Tahoe series, in general, seems to have a good reputation. I am excited and nervous about my decision and would love to hear your thoughts. The last v8 that I had was a 2006 Nissan Titan and my wife and I have missed the room and the power ever since.

Cheers,
Jason

camaroz2887

Reaction score
How ya doin tnjyoung,
While I can’t specifically about a Toyota product. Which seems to be very nice vehicles from my experience. I did just make the swap from a small v6 ranger and have the same height problem.

To be honest I was amazed by the Tahoe. 2 more cylinders plus close to twice the displacement of my old 3.slow, and my gas mileage went up! You’ll get plenty of room in every direction, but you WILL at some point miss havin the truck bed lol.

The one main drawback on these trucks personally would be the dod/afm (displacement on demand and active fuel management. Mainly the lifters that are spring loaded for closing off 4 cylinders during v4 operation. Check into it and see if it’s something you can and are ready to deal with.

By the way just assuming from the name, you from NJ too?

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
How ya doin tnjyoung,
While I can’t specifically about a Toyota product. Which seems to be very nice vehicles from my experience. I did just make the swap from a small v6 ranger and have the same height problem.

To be honest I was amazed by the Tahoe. 2 more cylinders plus close to twice the displacement of my old 3.slow, and my gas mileage went up! You’ll get plenty of room in every direction, but you WILL at some point miss havin the truck bed lol.

The one main drawback on these trucks personally would be the dod/afm (displacement on demand and active fuel management. Mainly the lifters that are spring loaded for closing off 4 cylinders during v4 operation. Check into it and see if it’s something you can and are ready to deal with.

By the way just assuming from the name, you from NJ too?

Oops, I hit "save changes" a little too quickly.

1. Thank you for the nice, concise, summary.
2. It is too late thinking about it, I already traded.
3. I am from Tennessee TN for Tennessee :)
4. I am sure I will miss the truck bed. It is a nice thing to just throw odd-shaped items into.
5. I cannot wait for the improvement in comfort. My truck had gotten a bit cramped for the family on vacations and travel.
6. I did think it would have more power, but I decided to buy it nonetheless. (maybe the 6.2 has the power that I was expecting in the 5.3?)

Kind regards,
Jason

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m the standard wheel base tahoe, the 5.3 V8 has plenty of power. And if you’re not going to be towing anything especially large than the extra power that the bigger motors offer isn’t really necessary. There are a lot of pros to having a truck bed, but what if that odd shaped item you or in there can’t get wet and it suddenly starts raining on the way home?! That’s where the tahoe comes in pretty handy! My 2006 xl Denali is my second SUV after having a dodge Dakota, and I haven’t run into a situation yet where I’m like I need a truck for this. Not once. The GM SUVs are quite capable.

Fischer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Suburban and it's just me and my dog Charlie I bought it from dear friend of mine who ordered it new it's a Z71. I have the back seats out and the captains chairs folded down so Charlie can have all the room that he wants. I've got the 5.3 and been on the road for thousands of miles and absolutely love it if you're looking for great gas mileage it's probably not the truck but if you're looking for comfort and a cruiser and durability and longevity you made the right decision may God be with you and keep you safe as well as your family good luck

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
I have an 03 Suburban and it's just me and my dog Charlie I bought it from dear friend of mine who ordered it new it's a Z71. I have the back seats out and the captains chairs folded down so Charlie can have all the room that he wants. I've got the 5.3 and been on the road for thousands of miles and absolutely love it if you're looking for great gas mileage it's probably not the truck but if you're looking for comfort and a cruiser and durability and longevity you made the right decision may God be with you and keep you safe as well as your family good luck
I definitely did not buy for gas Mileage. Everything else is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Hope you and Charlie are doing well!

Ed 1942

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my "Make America Great Again" reply. The big three make the best trucks and SUV's in the world. For a while foreign competitors were making more economical 4 and 6 cylinder (especially trucks). They sold big. Today, these same people want more power and opt for the V8. If you look at the mileage between foreign and domestic there may be 1 or 2 mpg difference. Here's my RANT: If you're one of those that agreed that corporations that went off-shore were un-American, then what are you when you go off-shore for your car/truck thereby sending any profit to another economy rather than the USA?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NNBS Tahoes are great. Very comfortable, easy to drive & park, lots of room and lots of features. (My LT3 has more features than any car I've ever owned, and it took me almost 6 months to discover & use all of them. lol) Fuel economy sucks, but if you know that going in it's fine, and regardless it's a small price to pay for all that you get overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442