Tahoe project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casper 2004 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Edit: My bad, thought I was posting this in the forum pertinent to the year of my vehicle.

Recently purchased this 2004 Tahoe as a platform to start a new fun project with, and also to do truck stuff :-D.

I'm still learning about the truck, but this is what it has, to the best of my current understanding.
The motor has been swapped. there is a 6.0L out of a van, recently rebuilt. LS3 heads, LS9 injectors, LS9 supercharger with LSA lid and stock pulley. Stock PCM tuned with HP tuners. I have forgotten the cam specs, but I was told it was a Lingenfelter cam with specs very similar to a stock LS9 cam. Stock airbox is very quiet.

The truck has been lowered and has some stiffer shocks, but it all seems to work and nothing rubs or rattles.

Transmission is a stock 4l80, freshly rebuilt. Converter is a cheap, as of yet unknown brand 2600 Stall.
Rear is a rebuilt stock 10 bolt with Detroit Locker? (can't remember if the guy said TruTrac or Detroit Locker and do not know how to tell without opening it up) and 4.11
All drivetrain has around 6000 miles.

What needs to change, the exhaust is shorty headers to a stock Y pipe with cats to a single 3 inch into a giant Magnaflow muffler, then out to a dual 3 inch, then Y into a single 3 inch dump at the rear. All welded up nicely, but it kinda sounds like a stock exhaust with a hole in the muffler and at around 3,000 RPM it is already wooshing like it needs more exhaust lol. It needs long tubes and a proper exhaust.

The tune is good enough for driving around and sets no codes, but it was NOT dyno tuned, so that needs to be done, likely after the other work.

Motor is 9.6 to 1 and the stock pulley is only giving me 7 PSI. would like to see 10, but will be talking to Speed Inc to see what else I may need to do first since I will probably be taking it to them to tune.

Aftercooler is right in the front and works, but the tank is tiny, I may buy an aftermarket one or make one to fit in the second batter spot.

The transmission shifts need work. It lingers in gears at part throttle for longer than I would like.
The first to second shift is set to lift throttle before shifting at WOT so the truck lays on its face before shifting, possibly to save drivetrain. Shift points are at 5800 RPM, prior owner was OCD about reliability and didn't care about squeezing performance out of it.

Stock steel driveshaft with 1310 Ujoints may be swapped in favor of something sturdier.

I know the 14 bolt is almost a direct replacement. I will consider this swap if the 10 bolt becomes a problem.

Looking forward to doing some truck stuff and messing with people at the track occasionally.

boost.jpg Casper.jpg engine.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros