Tahoe heated seat turns off after a few minutes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of trying to diagnose it yourself, you need to take it to a Chevrolet / GM garage and have it repaired.

You might find out that there is a problem with the Body Control Module or the program that runs it, or a sensor someplace else - such as in the mirriors.

One thing to look at is if it has the self dimming mirrors. The mirrors are on the same circuit as the heated seats. If the mirrors turns a mirky color during the day time, you know you have a problem with the one or the other.

There is a technical service bulletin that explains the problem and the solution of how to fix it. It usually requires replacing a module under one of the seats. it doesn't have anything to do with the element itself that heats the seats.

I believe that GM knew that they have a problem, because now when you want heated seats it is a dealer installed option. We have reverted back to the days of the Tucker where you could buy the radio before you bought the car. They used the profits from the radio to finance the corporation that built the automobiles. Also = that was the sticking point that the big 3 used to run him out of business. Now that the economy is so bad, you can almost do anything you want and not get in trouble, as long as you pay taxes and employ people.

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Well I just got done taking half the seat apart to just look at the heating element since everything I found online with similar problems had a burnt element, as in a hole (one was the size of a guys palm). That turned up nothing. I didn't take the element out or anything, just a quick visual inspection and then I put it all back together asap before I forgot where all those little plugs went! There's a lot of stuff under there!

Anyway, the back still works and the passenger side works but when I turn the driver butt and back on, both the driver and passenger heat go out. So, other than the dealer, does anybody have a clue where to go from here?

Thanks guys!

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
Well I just got done taking half the seat apart to just look at the heating element since everything I found online with similar problems had a burnt element, as in a hole (one was the size of a guys palm). That turned up nothing. I didn't take the element out or anything, just a quick visual inspection and then I put it all back together asap before I forgot where all those little plugs went! There's a lot of stuff under there!

Anyway, the back still works and the passenger side works but when I turn the driver butt and back on, both the driver and passenger heat go out. So, other than the dealer, does anybody have a clue where to go from here?

Thanks guys!

Mine has started doing the same thing as most of you are describing. Really annoying and obviously a VERY common fault with GM seats.

So I guess this ones for the dealer to figure out

JD

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I might have found the next step in finding the problem. I haven't tried this yet but hopefully I will tonight. LINK

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Turns out a co-worker blew the leads on the tester so I ended up pulling the leather off the back a little and found two burn spots a little smaller than a dime right next to each other. Without testing the ohms, would this be enough evidence to simply replace the seat back heating element?

I have found part numbers for the driver seat heating elements though. Seat cushion 88940288 and seat back 88940289

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz