Tahoe dies out while driving not all the time. What's going on???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustClean86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've already replaced (in order as the problems occured) my fuel pump, fuel filter, heater core, all air filters(cabin and in engine), spark plugs and plug wires. But still idles funny and has been losing power completely 0 rpms on highway and side streets. Not all the time but a few times in a row. I'll be at a light and when it's my green I'll get ready to go and it will die as soon as I push the gas to go. Tow haul came on once while I was parked and shut off the truck not sure why it would do that never seen it before.

Kenney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am no mechanic but i would check the TPS MAF IAC sensors im pretty sure a mechanic can check those sensors on OBD reader. And then go from there cause it can also be fuel injectors. The list can go on but i think that should be your cheapest route for now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already replaced (in order as the problems occured) my fuel pump, fuel filter, heater core, all air filters(cabin and in engine), spark plugs and plug wires. But still idles funny and has been losing power completely 0 rpms on highway and side streets. Not all the time but a few times in a row. I'll be at a light and when it's my green I'll get ready to go and it will die as soon as I push the gas to go. Tow haul came on once while I was parked and shut off the truck not sure why it would do that never seen it before.
What are you driving? Stalling like this generically is usually a MAP or MAF sensor, throttle body issue or a fuel pump issue.

Do you have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and a way to see engine parameters?

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What codes are being thrown?
What does the live data stream show? Fuel pressure at the rail?
After a stall, what is the restart like? Long crank, or fire right up?

It's one of these (spark/fuel/air) :)

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with side post to top post battery adapter clamps. I stripped the threads once and stuck a couple of toothpicks in the threaded hole to give it some bite (and old woodworking trick with stripped screws). It held pretty good, so I kind of forgot about them for a while longer than I should have.
Then the truck was no-crank/no-start. Got tight to get home. Between there and home, then again between home and NAPA the next day... It started but ran like crap and sputtered, no power, felt like it was going to die. Got my new clamps and it was back to normal.

I just mention this only because the bad connections between the battery terminals and cable connections was good enough to let it start, but was really messing with voltages to sensors and the computer. A lot!
I am sure the MAF and MAP were just two of the things that were going wonky because voltage was all over the place.

Thought I just relay what I experienced, just in case issue could possibly be a voltage issue with battery or alternator cables/wires/connections messing with voltage somewhere...

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be anything from an air mass sensor, to oxygen sensors, fuel pressure regulator, faulty air, mass problems, electrical issues.

First check for codes then proceed in sequence.

bolosmith59

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Throttle body...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie