Tahoe dies at very low idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtlaz123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here is what I have done. I have a 98 5.7 which just had the whole motor rebuilt. I had a very mild cam placed in it. I orginally bought it in Cali and drove back to arizona. While doing the motor I removed the smog pump. It was just electric no pulleys. Here in AZ we don't require smog. So I removed and plugged the holes in the headers. I have to start the truck use the gas pedal even when warm. Once it starts from a couple rev ups, its idles perfectly. Once I go to drive if it doesn't die when put in gear it dies when driving and I hit the brakes. I also placed a new distributor and I'm not getting any codes. Does removing the smog have anything to do with this? If so can the computer be flashed to reflect no smog. I'm lost at this point. Any help would be great. Also to mention with the new distributor it has all new plugs and wires.

Reaction score
u try cleaning the throttle body...had a similar prob with my 03 with a 5.3...no engine mods to mine but cleaning out the throttle body fixed my stalling at idle while in gear

OP
OP
D

djtlaz123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
pretty much polished that thing when it was torn apart waiting to get the block back..Even pressure washed the lower intake.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

also forgot the mention I updated the mfi new spider injections from delphi

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check for for vacuum leaks or any thing disconnected . After that clean or replace the iac motor.

OP
OP
D

djtlaz123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did no vacum leaks. Really only three vacums. Has anyone that replaced the spider injection to the new updated have any issues..I'm going to check fuel pressure later this afternoon..I'm thinking because I have to give it gas on start up it may be a fuel issue..

ch4d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your throttle cable on your throttle body see if that is tight enough and if its at the right rpms. I think that could possibly help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432

Latest posts