SuspensionMaxx Leveling kit - alignment necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigVette427

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a 2" SuspensionMaxx leveling kit for my '17 Denali 4x4. Goal is to raise the front end a bit like a 4x4 truck should have come from GM (don't get me started on all that I've done on that front,) and make it appear more in line with the rear. Don't think I need or want 2.25" or 2.5" level.

My question is on the instructions from SuspensionMaxx saying to get an alignment afterwards. Is everybody doing this? Not sure if this is to make it ride correct or if it's for tire wear, etc?

Also, do you have to do both front wheels off the ground at the same time? Can I do just one wheel at a time and loosen the nut on the sway bar?

Last edited:

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only did the 1.5" and got/needed it aligned (it was out of spec after the spacers). You should be able to do one side at a time, I don't think I did anything with the swaybar. I just undid the lower mounts and inserted the spacers. It may be harder with the 2" but I don't think removing everything is required, it may just make it easier.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DE3D7CB3-6593-4089-9609-5C8ABEF31E3B.jpeg Yep, same here, I put the 1.5” spacer in my wifes rig. I like it because the rear is just a touch higher, so it doesnt look nose high. Perfect imo if you are keeping the stock size rubber... 2-2.5” is just too much.

And yes, the alignment is certainly necessary unless you want to eat your tires up. The only thing that needed adjustment was the toe, but it was visually WAY off.

OP
OP
BigVette427

BigVette427

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the replies. I've had to put off installing my SuspensionMaxx kit and hope to get to it this next weekend. Going to just do the 2" up front only and was hoping to avoid an alignment but the tires are due for rotation anyways. The instructions appear to imply that if you stayed at 2" and below you followed Section 2A, which mentioned nothing about an alignment. If you go above 2", you follow section 2B and it specifically says an alignment is necessary. I emailed SuspensionMaxx and never heard anything back.

I swapped wheels and put on new Goodyear Wranglers on at about 800 miles and the Goodyear shop said I needed an alignment, which I told them I'd take it back to the selling dealer to perform. GM says you need a minimum of like 500 miles before they would do anything to the alignment, but I was past that. Dealer confirmed a slight out-of-alignment spec and corrected it. I figure it probably occurred during transit when tied down on the truck.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 2” you will definitely need and alignment. Like I said, with just the 1.5” kit I could visibly see the wheels being drastically towed in. I dont think caster or camber was effected at all, but the toe needed changing.

bamachem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did 2.5"/1" and definitely needed an alignment. It was WAY out of spec.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You basically need an alignment anytime you replace anything suspension wise in the front but especially changing the height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick