Suspension / Steering Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.3SLT

Reaction score
Noticing a noise coming from the wife's 2008 Yukon front driver's side suspension. A metallic "thunk" (like someone tapped the a-arm with a hammer) sounds when the wheels are turned and the vehicle is backing or pulling fowards slowly. It sounds like something is under a bind and the "thunk" is the pressure release.

No noise at all during turns once up to speed and nothing sticks out during a visual check.

Hot rod has about 85K miles on the clock.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV joints make a clickity clickity sound…. Maybe a caliper sticking or something?

Polomintus

Reaction score
My wifes 2002 Tahoe had simlair issues to what your discribing, although hers was a lot worse. When turning, especially stationary, the steering would shudder across the front wheels,it got progressivly worse over the last year.

My concern was with the steering rack, but i wish this was helpful, because we traded it in for her recent vehicle.

I was told that on her 02 Tahoe that the steering collumn was a known issue and greasing it was a good way to elliminate the issues.

Good luck mate,

Cheers POLO

OP
OP
5.3SLT

5.3SLT

Reaction score
Thanks for the replays guys. There is no feel or indication it from the steering when the noise occurs, however. Just a metallic thunk as the vehicle backs with the wheels turned. Hmmmmmm

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticing a noise coming from the wife's 2008 Yukon front driver's side suspension. A metallic "thunk" (like someone tapped the a-arm with a hammer) sounds when the wheels are turned and the vehicle is backing or pulling fowards slowly. It sounds like something is under a bind and the "thunk" is the pressure release.

No noise at all during turns once up to speed and nothing sticks out during a visual check.

Hot rod has about 85K miles on the clock.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

5.3SLT,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your Yukon. If this is a recent occurrence, I recommend consulting with a certified technician for additional assistance. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
5.3SLT

5.3SLT

Reaction score
5.3SLT,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your Yukon. If this is a recent occurrence, I recommend consulting with a certified technician for additional assistance. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Thanks Louis. Yes, it will be heading to a GM dealer next week for diagnosis. Glad I purchased the warranty with this used Yukon.

OP
OP
5.3SLT

5.3SLT

Reaction score
Took it to a local shop to have it checked out. They heard the noise but could not diagnose it after checking the whole front suspension. Time to take it to the GM shop. Hopefully they can figure it out w/out return trips.

silverlx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm also having this same sound in my 07 Tahoe. Please let me know what GM says, I have no warranty left...

09Hoe

Reaction score
I had a similar situation and it was the tie rods. Should get it check out soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali