Suspension overhaul questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan Dennison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum and figured this would be a good place to ask some questions. I've got an 05 Tahoe LS 4.8L 2WD. I bought it with 40,000 miles on it and now have around 220,000 on it. Aside from brake pads the only drive train / suspension related parts I've had to replace was a driver side front wheel hub assembly. I've noticed over the last year or so it just doesn't ride like it use to and any bumps I hit have become more harsh as well. I've been thinking about doing an overhaul on the suspension hoping to bring it back to life and get it riding like it was when I first got it. I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money in upgrades to make it better than it was before, but am willing to spend what is needed on quality parts to get it driving and riding like new again. I've got a Jeep TJ with a coil sprung suspension that I've completely redone and am very familiar with, but other than replacing a front wheel hub assembly on my Tahoe I don't have much knowledge or experience with that style front suspension setup. I had planned on replacing the rear coil springs with Moog and getting Bilstein shocks. If there are better brands I'm open to any and all recommendations. For the control arms should I assume they need replacing after 220,000 miles and replace them completely, replace just the ball joints and bushings, or determine if they're actually bad? What brands does everyone recommend for these? Also what are some other things I should consider replacing or at least look into that may affect the ride quality? My tires and tire pressure are good! Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your on track with the moog and bilstein's, there good and wont cost you a ton of money, if you haven't replaced any suspension parts then you'll probably want to just buy a kit or set to save even more and just knock it all out at once. ebay or amazon have deals on a complete kit.

OP
OP
B

Bryan Dennison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
your on track with the moog and bilstein's, there good and wont cost you a ton of money, if you haven't replaced any suspension parts then you'll probably want to just buy a kit or set to save even more and just knock it all out at once. ebay or amazon have deals on a complete kit.

Thanks! I’ll look into those and see what I can find!

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with moog problem solvers control arms (upper and lowers), inner and outer tierods, a way bar endlinks and ac delco pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm bracket. Accompanied by the tbss 2-3/4 kit which has front spindles with new timken hubs rear 4" drop springs with a 1" spacer, dim endlinks and beltech shocks all around.

My truck rides great, however, slightly rough on bumps. I still need to do the free travel mod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec