Suspension help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
So after owning my vehicle a bit I've noticed the suspension is starting to feel like it is either getting worse or it's my imagination. I knew it would need help soon when I got it but I am getting to the point where I am wanting to do it sooner than later. When I am driving and hit an uneven patch of road my tahoe wants to not quite swerve but move in either direction. It's not horrible but you can feel the vehicle pulling. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to what I need to replace? I am planning to either lower or raise my tahoe at some point (leaning towards a 2/4 drop), and am not sure if that would fix the bad part or if I should just go fix it as it is something else or if it may be as simple as getting an alignment. I have never been too knowledgeable on things when it comes to suspension. Just looking for your input before I get it checked out.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are describing that it wants to wander on rough road. That is usually a sign of the steering box getting loose. Steering box seems to be a common problem on these trucks as they get miles on them. It could also be pitman arm or idler arm. I would also look at your tie rods and ball joints. All of those parts are supposed to be greased and most people never do it so those parts tend to wear out. I'm not sure how many miles you have on your truck but I would guess your factory shocks are getting worn out. If you are thinking of lifting or lowering it soon I would wait and replace them then.

OP
OP
Effeckt

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like you are describing that it wants to wander on rough road. That is usually a sign of the steering box getting loose. Steering box seems to be a common problem on these trucks as they get miles on them. It could also be pitman arm or idler arm. I would also look at your tie rods and ball joints. All of those parts are supposed to be greased and most people never do it so those parts tend to wear out. I'm not sure how many miles you have on your truck but I would guess your factory shocks are getting worn out. If you are thinking of lifting or lowering it soon I would wait and replace them then.

Yep that is exactly what is occurring. I am just over 89k miles. The shocks are definitely on their way out. I knew that would be included in whatever suspension kit I get. I hadn't thought of the steering box. Looks like I will just have it checked out and see what the damage is. Thanks for the pointers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700