Suspension guidance / recommendation requested.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After a lot of reading and look through the 34 pages of pictures and set ups, I think I've narrowed it down but not 100% certain.

Model is an 2004, 2wd, completely bone stock.

I'm thinking of going with the a Belltech 2/3 kit with shocks. Adding sway bars at a later date.

I'm currently on stock rims and tires, but wanting to change. Not really sure what direction I want to go here. I'm thinking maybe 20"s or 22"s. Price is a concern, but handling is also a concern. I'm actually looking for a set off of a newer Chevy, rims someone else is selling, just not sure which way to go.

My overall goal is handling. I'm not expecting her to handle like a corvette, but I have several friends that go to the Tail of the Dragon, so I'm thinking something to keep up with them would be pretty cool for a Tahoe to do. Plus I love driving windy roads.

So with that in mind, what might be a good rim/tire combo for this?

So am I on the right track with the Belltech set up and take off rims with some nice tires ? Or should I be looking to a different route.

On a side note, performance upgrades are also in the works in the form a exhaust, intake, and Blackbear tune (there coming to Atl this year looks like so why not)

Thanks in advance.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, tail of the dragon with a drop and wheels might be a stretch but I’m with you.To get the handling you want look at the entire front end but for wheels and tires you’ll want width and low sidewalk and great tires made for handling. They’re usually not too cheap and need replacing more often.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just basing my comment off budget being a concern, and trying to keep up with sports cars at the tail of the dragon:
I would definitely do the custom tune, but unless someone else with serious knowledge can answer better, I noticed next to zero change when I did my CAI and exhaust WITH MY GENERIC TUNE.. I WOULD GET SOMEONE ELSES OPINION, BUT based off those two priorities, I would hold off on the CAI and exhaust, and only start with the tune. The tune should improve your trans shifting too. (based off of, and depending on what your budget allows). IMO, if budget was tight, instead of the intake and exhaust, I would get, and think you would get a better response if you did E-fan mod. You can research this, but this requires: a 34" radiator (which you might have), aftermarket fans (I bought a new set of dorman for less than $60), a harness (I pulled one for $15, or you can buy them for about $100), a larger than 105 amp alternator (because it pulls close to 30 amps). You may have 130, 145 or 160 amp alternator IIRC, already. You can check the RPO codes inside of your glove box if you don't already know. I'm pretty sure its a K code maybe a KW code

https://www.silveradosierra.com/owners-manuals/gm-master-rpo-code-listing-t7203.html
https://www.silveradosierra.com/resources/file/3817

If you would like to do any aftermarket electrical such as a larger stereo, additional lighting, or other aftermarket electronics, then a larger alternator (and big 3) is almost a necessity. Last, you need to have the ECU tuned to turn on the e-fans. This is usually the most expensive part of the e-fan upgrade, so if you are doing a tune anyways, they will turn this on. Not including the tune, the efans COULD be done for as little as $100 (if you pull the harness, get a good deal on fans, and already have the radiator and a larger alternator). Its at the very least worth looking into.

Dropping it (leveling it) with new shocks is good. You could add poly bushings, atleast to your sway bar to stiffen things up to improve handling. I would make sure you don't need to fix or replace any other suspension/steering components, (if you do, those are #1 priority). If you want to keep up in the twisties, I would get the rear sway bar, and I would do the NNBS front brake upgrade. These will help you stay in control and let you brake when you need to with ability and confidence.

EVEN THOUGH IT SHOULDN'T NEED TO BE SAID, I WILL SAY IT... If you are trying to push it, on the tail of the dragon, with your heavy ass Tahoe, MAKE SURE YOUR BRAKES ARE IN GREAT CONDITION.. You WILL NEED better than stock pads, you will want drilled rotors. MAKE SURE YOUR FLUID IS GOOD, YOUR PADS ARE GOOD, YOUR ROTORS ARE GOOD, YOUR LINES ARE GOOD...

As for wheels and tires, yeah if you're on a tight budget, that's tough. I don't think any take off set from a SUV or pickup is going to be the best option for the twisties, I'm guessing anything new will be an all season or a off road tire. You're going to give up a little fuel mileage for a bigger wheel with a wider tire to get better handling. Not sure if getting them as a second set is an option, picking up a set of wheels, and adding even a semi used set of tires with some highway low pro tires on there, (no clue what your driving style is like or if that's what you are trying to do permanently).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63