Super Stoked — Just picked up new ‘22 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
That makes sense! We have 3 kids also and I’m going from a 2022 Telluride to the Tahoe due to the fact that the Telly has no cargo space. I want the Tahoe bc of the size, but my husband keeps saying I’m going to regret not having the extra space of the suburban. Maybe I will go test drive one (if I can find one!)
Absolutely GO drive a Suburban, the difference in cargo space is huge, especially if you ever use the 3rd row. Our kids are 8, 11, 15 and there's no way we can take a road trip in anything smaller than a Expy Max or Suburban. :)

esbrittain

Reaction score
Absolutely GO drive a Suburban, the difference in cargo space is huge, especially if you ever use the 3rd row. Our kids are 8, 11, 15 and there's no way we can take a road trip in anything smaller than a Expy Max or Suburban. :)
Is it strange that I will take the advice of an internet stranger over my husband? Haha I think you’ve convinced me! Our kids are 5, 5, and 8 months, and the 3rd row is used everyday. We vacation to the beach a lot, so I definitely need as much room as I can get, while still being able to drive the thing.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
I am curious what problems your had with your Expy? Your new Suburban is really nice and I hope you have better luck with this vehicle :)
Oh boy. 2018 Expedition Max Platinum, bought last summer CPO with 60k miles (for $59.5k, mind you)....put the Extended Ford warranty on it. Wife's favorite car ever, but the biggest POS we've ever owned. In a year/15k miles, it needed front wheel bearings, drank a gallon and a half of coolant (dealer never did find out why), needed 1 turbo replaced, valve cover leaking, cam phaser failed (huge issue with 3.5 ecoboost, Ford has a semi-recall on it but the root cause of the cam phasers failing repeatedly seems to be a oil starvation issue on the top end that was corrected with a revised head assembly in 2021.......which I was obviously never going to get on my car. :), timing chains stretched, tensioners, water pump, rear wiper motor inop, running board motors at 60k miles and again at 75k, and the panoroof track broke requiring the entire headliner be dropped and the whole moonroof track assy replaced. Of course, with lack of parts and labor shortages, it was a pain to get it all fixed so we could trade it in quick. Last warranty repair bill would have been about $15,000 if I hadn't had the warranty! I will say that the 3.5 Ecoboost is a monster motor, and gets good mpg if you're easy on it, but I would *never* own another :)

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Is it strange that I will take the advice of an internet stranger over my husband? Haha I think you’ve convinced me! Our kids are 5, 5, and 8 months, and the 3rd row is used everyday. We vacation to the beach a lot, so I definitely need as much room as I can get, while still being able to drive the thing.
We had a couple of Sequoias, a QX80, a couple minivans, and then we moved up to a 13 Burban, 14 Escalade ESV, the Expedition Max, and now this Suburban. We won't go back to anything smaller until our kids are all grown. My wife is very nervous to drive a van in Michigan winters because they sit low to the ground and in an accident would not have much of a chance against a full size truck which is what 95% of vehicles around here are.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
We had a couple of Sequoias, a QX80, a couple minivans, and then we moved up to a 13 Burban, 14 Escalade ESV, the Expedition Max, and now this Suburban. We won't go back to anything smaller until our kids are all grown. My wife is very nervous to drive a van in Michigan winters because they sit low to the ground and in an accident would not have much of a chance against a full size truck which is what 95% of vehicles around here are.
PS My wife is 4-10" so if she can drive it, you can too LOL!

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense! We have 3 kids also and I’m going from a 2022 Telluride to the Tahoe due to the fact that the Telly has no cargo space. I want the Tahoe bc of the size, but my husband keeps saying I’m going to regret not having the extra space of the suburban. Maybe I will go test drive one (if I can find one!)
Absolutely drive the Suburban before you cross it off your list. As others have said, the cargo space difference is huge (plus you gain a bit more leg room in the 3rd row). We are in a 2014 Honda Pilot with 5 kids ranging from 10 to 2 and going anywhere with the whole family requires the roof top box. Before we placed our order (Yukon XL), our local Chevy dealer had a used '21 Tahoe on their lot. Salesman gave me the keys and told me to be back in a few hours so I brought it home and parked it next to the Pilot. The interior seating space comparison was a huge difference, but the cargo space didn't seem to be considerably more. Certainly it is, but thinking through all the things we bring on trips to the in-laws, vacation houses, camping, etc. it didn't seem like it would fit a lot more.

A quick google search says the '22 Telluride you have now has 21 cu.ft. behind the third row. The '22 Tahoe is 25.5 cu.ft. If you feel like the Telluride has no cargo volume right now then you're not going to notice 4.5 cu.ft. of increased cargo volume. You will notice the nearly 100% more cargo volume going to the 41.5 cu.ft in the Suburban. :)

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score

@esbrittain if you have time, you may want to read this: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/yukon-denali-short-wheel-or-xl.133074/

It is what helped convince me to go to the long wheel base :)

esbrittain

Reaction score
Absolutely drive the Suburban before you cross it off your list. As others have said, the cargo space difference is huge (plus you gain a bit more leg room in the 3rd row). We are in a 2014 Honda Pilot with 5 kids ranging from 10 to 2 and going anywhere with the whole family requires the roof top box. Before we placed our order (Yukon XL), our local Chevy dealer had a used '21 Tahoe on their lot. Salesman gave me the keys and told me to be back in a few hours so I brought it home and parked it next to the Pilot. The interior seating space comparison was a huge difference, but the cargo space didn't seem to be considerably more. Certainly it is, but thinking through all the things we bring on trips to the in-laws, vacation houses, camping, etc. it didn't seem like it would fit a lot more.

A quick google search says the '22 Telluride you have now has 21 cu.ft. behind the third row. The '22 Tahoe is 25.5 cu.ft. If you feel like the Telluride has no cargo volume right now then you're not going to notice 4.5 cu.ft. of increased cargo volume. You will notice the nearly 100% more cargo volume going to the 41.5 cu.ft in the Suburban. :)
This is good info, thank you. One thing I hate the most about the Telluride is that the top anchors for car seats are located on the larger side of the 70/30 split bench in the third row. This means I can only fold down the small side to get extra room. Such a terrible design. At least the Tahoe has the ability to put the car seats wherever in the third row. But yeah, 21 to 25.5 doesn’t sound like that big of a difference if I have to have all the seats up!

esbrittain

Reaction score

rdgarland

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you! Just read through it and aside from everyone arguing about the best way to park in the garage lol, it was really helpful! Maybe I’ll go try to test drive one this weekend.
you will love the suburban or Yukon XL . As a mom of three kids too it was the best decision we ever made to get the longer model. We bought are first one in 09, then traded it in for a 16 and are now getting a 22 which we are in the process of purchasing because I love it! As the kids get bigger ( and even as when they are young) you will appreciate the extra room in the trunk for all of the crap that they require and still have seating for 8 ( if you do the second bench which is what we did ). we would take trips with my parents ( 7 in total ) and fit everyone and luggage in the car ( never even needed a roof rack) Plenty of room for the kids in the third row. Even my mother sat back there with them on long trips. As far a driving it you will love it. It is really easy to drive. I am not that tall ( only 5' 6 ) and have never had an issue with driving it. I have driven a Subaru Outback and a Toyota Highlander but nothing beats the suburban/yukon as a family car. Don't go with the Tahoe. You will regret not having the extra room in the trunk . Now with all of the back up cameras it is even easier to park and drive. I wish you best of luck with your decision. .