Sunshade getting stuck with sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5x10

Reaction score
Made the mistake of using my sunroof

when I tried to close it, the sunshade came with the glass and prevented the glass from fully closing
its almost like the back of the sun shade should be behind the glass but got stuck in front of it

I was able to pull the whole sunshade out and close the glass

any ideas on what I need to do to get the sunshade ridge behind the glass?
im thinking the headliner has to come off :(

Attachments

• 636CEC07-69A7-4EA6-B1DD-032552BD3069.jpeg
    636CEC07-69A7-4EA6-B1DD-032552BD3069.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

dps01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess is that you will need to at least lower part of the headliner.

If you are lucky you may be able to get away with just lowering the drivers side of the headliner to slide the shade back into place. That way you do not need to mess with the air supply ducting to the roof on the passenger side (at least on a Tahoe).

I dropped my headliner (Tahoe / no sunroof 2X… wouldn’t want to do it again).

Watch as many videos as you can find.

Roilux

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed my sunshade to replace the original material and recommend you remove the sunroof glass then install the sunshade from the top. Only four torx head bolts hold the sunroof in place. They are all easily accessed from the driver's seat. Your sunshade has the same spring clips as mine does.

The last few inches of travel removing and first few replacing the sunshade are really tight. I'm assuming that's to set the ridge in the proper position. I used two wide interior trim tools to coax it in and out. Trim tools were placed between the sunshade and sunroof frame. If you do any 'persuading' by way of impacts, remove the plastic pull handle in the sunshade. Apparently mine was brittle and two tabs snapped off due to vibration. Ebay wants $40 to $50 for used ones. LKQ was $5. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMT800Lover