Sunroof Wont Close - Bad Motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent used sunroof in a while because of the weather but yesterday was a good day. I open sunroof and didnt attempt to close it until hours later and it wont close. There is no noise except a click sound which i believe is the norm when you try to one click full open/full close sunroof. I think the noise itself rules out the sunroof switch. I was able to drop most of the headliner (not realizing motor was in the front). I believe there is a way to manually close sunroof by twisting a screw on motor thats like a 40 torx screw. There is no movement when I attempt to close sunroof. A few months ago, I had a similar issue where sunroof was 'gapped' 'vent' mode (second button) and it was stuck in this position until I turned car back on the following day and it was working. I was not lucky this time.

Any suggestions on how to fix? For now I want to manually close sunroof. How can I do that? What screw on sunroof allows this?

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get to the motor out and I also confirmed the clicking sound was coming from motor. This must mean its getting response from the switch. So not sure what would cause it to not move. I dont think its an issue with things in the way of the rails because it would atleast make noise like its trying. i was hoping nothing happens when I press switch which would tell me switch was bad but sounds like motor is not doing all it should. I can see where motor turns something on body of car but not sure how to turn that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get to the motor out and I also confirmed the clicking sound was coming from motor. This must mean its getting response from the switch. So not sure what would cause it to not move. I dont think its an issue with things in the way of the rails because it would atleast make noise like its trying. i was hoping nothing happens when I press switch which would tell me switch was bad but sounds like motor is not doing all it should. I can see where motor turns something on body of car but not sure how to turn that.

Can you rig something up and put 5v or 12v to the motor to see if it's working? Did you pull the BCM codes?

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you rig something up and put 5v or 12v to the motor to see if it's working? Did you pull the BCM codes?
Some good news. I banged on the metal side of the motor like a starter and it started to work again but you could tell its on its way out. I was able to close sunroof and disconnected connection until I get a new motor to replace. The fact that it made improvement with that small action confirms the motor is the culprit. Its only 2 bolts and a harness but the process of dropping liner is a PITA. Thankfully we in cold season so dont have to urgently replace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96