Sunroof left open through car wash.. FML

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali12

Reaction score
2012 Denali XL went though the car wash running with the sunroof open. (no I didn't drive it in) They dried it all out but the electronics are acting up. i.e. Key fob slow to respond, service air bag at startup some times, service tire monitoring system at startup at times, dash lights won't turn off. I have a bunch of damp rid in there & hoping as the electronics dry out everything is ok. Any tips/advice on what to do next?

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I would file a claim with their insurance and let a dealer go at it.

The usual advice about cars that have been flooded is never buy one. I’d say you have a solid case for a diminished value claim, at the least.

If you haven’t already filed a report with your own insurance I’d waste no time. Belt and suspenders, and it bolsters your claim against the wash company.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start shoveling rice! But seriously, that's messed up. Unfortunately they most likely have a posted disclaimer that they are not responsible for any damage right? Still, your insurance should cover it and at the very least the carwash should be willing to cover your deductible. I had some clown lean on the cab of my truck while reaching across to dry it and the business was more than willing to pay the repairs to the now dented roof. You'd think with all the "smarts" these new vehicles have these days it should sense "rain" and close the sunroof as it does when it turns on the wipers and headlights.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 Denali XL went though the car wash running with the sunroof open. (no I didn't drive it in) They dried it all out but the electronics are acting up. i.e. Key fob slow to respond, service air bag at startup some times, service tire monitoring system at startup at times, dash lights won't turn off. I have a bunch of damp rid in there & hoping as the electronics dry out everything is ok. Any tips/advice on what to do next?
what type of car wash? a drive thru with the belt in the floor? or one where you sit stationary and the high pressure water moves back and forth?
either way there really couldn't have been that much water, I would put a little fan driven portable heater in there and leave the windows cracked a hair, might take 2-3 days of letting that run to dry it out more. unless the water was knee deep in there then there should be no serious damages, you could have a wet harness or something causing the cluster and airbag issues, really shouldn't be any worse than leaving the sunroof open and having it rain overnight.
you could pull the trim pieces off the sides where the edge of the carpet is by the doors and pull the carpet up a little and stick something under it to prop it up while the heater does it's thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr