Sunroof left open through car wash.. FML

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
what type of car wash? a drive thru with the belt in the floor? or one where you sit stationary and the high pressure water moves back and forth?
either way there really couldn't have been that much water, I would put a little fan driven portable heater in there and leave the windows cracked a hair, might take 2-3 days of letting that run to dry it out more. unless the water was knee deep in there then there should be no serious damages, you could have a wet harness or something causing the cluster and airbag issues, really shouldn't be any worse than leaving the sunroof open and having it rain overnight.
you could pull the trim pieces off the sides where the edge of the carpet is by the doors and pull the carpet up a little and stick something under it to prop it up while the heater does it's thing
Belt driven. Unsure of the full details as I wasn’t with the vehicle. I have a fan running in there with damprid bags. They actually got it pretty dry in there but really don’t know what all got wet.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belt driven. Unsure of the full details as I wasn’t with the vehicle. I have a fan running in there with damprid bags. They actually got it pretty dry in there but really don’t know what all got wet.
i bet you just have a wet harness causing the issue then, maybe pull the drivers seat out and check there the airbag module (AKA blackbox) is under the drivers seat, pull the battery cable off first before you mess with any of that

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
When it dries out, the chemicals they use in the wash will be left behind in all the electrical connections they touched.

The water is not the problem. Corrosion afterwards is the long term problem.

I’m not saying it’s a doomsday scenario or anything like that, but that wasn’t distilled water they hosed it down with.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
Looks like the only thing giving me trouble today is the remote connection to the app. Anyone know where that module is located?

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
When it dries out, the chemicals they use in the wash will be left behind in all the electrical connections they touched.

The water is not the problem. Corrosion afterwards is the long term problem.

I’m not saying it’s a doomsday scenario or anything like that, but that wasn’t distilled water they hosed it down with.
I bet my connections are currently cleaner than yours

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
remote connection to what app? onstar? if so it is under the ac control in the center dash
Yes, remote start is working again with the key fob, but the onstar app won’t connect. I am able to call onstar by hitting the button in the truck.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d pull the seats and carpet and let it dry. Even if it feels dry now it’s probably still damp underneath. Pull the battery, and disconnect every electrical connector and clean with contact cleaner, apply dielectric grease and reassemble. Noico or dynamat since your this far in anyway, when the carpet and under padding are truly dry, reinstall along with the seats.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, remote start is working again with the key fob, but the onstar app won’t connect. I am able to call onstar by hitting the button in the truck.
if you grab the cup holder and storage pocket with the flip doors and pull straight up it is just held in with clips and comes out easily you can look down in there and see if it still looks or feels wet, the bose amp and a few wiring harness are accessible right there. the onstar module would be forward of that under the ac control, to get to that you would need to pull the trim around the radio (also held in with clips but harder to remove) and take all that stuff out.
all of that is directly under the sunroof opening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts