Sudden movement when truck is parked and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jose01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue when I drive my truck and then park it , shut it off the truck moves a little like ,a little jerk forward , it doesn’t happen all the time , but you can definitely feel it move a little . Its 2015 Yukon sle about to have 90,000 miles on . I installed new breakers about a year go there still good .

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this since new even with the park break on if on a slight incline. I think the park paw has enough slack in it that it allows a bit off roll.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue when I drive my truck and then park it , shut it off the truck moves a little like ,a little jerk forward , it doesn’t happen all the time , but you can definitely feel it move a little . Its 2015 Yukon sle about to have 90,000 miles on . I installed new breakers about a year go there still good .

Set your parking brake, don't park on the pawl in the transmission, it may eventually break. Come to a stop, set the parking brake, then shift the transmission into park.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my Silverado doesn't do it and I park on a slight incline. Once you are in park and your foot is off the brake it shouldn't matter one iota if the engine is running or not

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this since new even with the park break on if on a slight incline. I think the park paw has enough slack in it that it allows a bit off roll.

^^^ this does not sound right...at the least, your break should hold, a slight possibility the pads shift if not seated all way in one direction but rare.

as for the pawl in the drum...could it break, sure...but if the vehicle is stopped, park selected, it should suffice just fine. selecting park with a slight roll to the vehicle, i have seen them shear off

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
I just assumed this was normal? Whenever I put my vehicle in park on uneven ground and let off the brakes there is a slight movement before the Parking brakes engage. Is there supposed to be no Movement at all?

OP
OP
J

Jose01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just assumed this was normal? Whenever I put my vehicle in park on uneven ground and let off the brakes there is a slight movement before the Parking brakes engage. Is there supposed to be no Movement at all?

OP
OP
J

Jose01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine dose it on a level even ground , but not all the time

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ this does not sound right...at the least, your break should hold, a slight possibility the pads shift if not seated all way in one direction but rare.

as for the pawl in the drum...could it break, sure...but if the vehicle is stopped, park selected, it should suffice just fine. selecting park with a slight roll to the vehicle, i have seen them shear off

was told it was normal operation and they would not fix it. I figure the shoes are were out of adjustment for the park brake since assembly. Its so rare I have to worry about it anyways. If im ever parked on a hill I always just slowly release the foot brake so that it gently catches the park pawl. Park pawl at rebuild at 94k looked perfect so I have 0 concern.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your barking break should squeeze and hold when applied, the only residual movement may come from drivetrain itself...slack in U joints, trans internals.

there is o reason the brake should have any movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700