Subwoofer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Casey

Reaction score
2006 GMC yukon xl 5.3L v8

I have the Bose stereo system in my Yukon, and I installed a Sony xva1000 head unit, with the bass boost on level 2 of 2, the system actually really comes alive and I don't see it being worth it to tear everything out of the vehicle and start from scratch, I know there's mixed opinions about the Bose system...

However, obviously when you use the bass boost you lose some of your volume, and while it does get loud, sometimes I'd like a little bit more volume out of the system, I can achieve the volume I want with the base turned off, but then it sounds like it lacks base obviously...

I have a spot in the back of my vehicle where it would appear that the subwoofer would go in the Denali package of the yukon XL, but the enclosure isn't there... After a lot of research and digging, I found two people that sell the enclosure for the 8-in subwoofer, and punching out the cutout would be relatively easy. This is an oem enclosure, so it fits with the clips brackets and screws that are already there, and it's somewhat of a complicated shape so I didn't want to try and make it myself. And all of the behind the seat options weren't all that enticing since all the seats in this vehicle can fold flat so I can get a full sheet of plywood in, and not to mention that there's already space specifically cut out for a subwoofer in the vehicle.

I'm not looking to shatter the windows of every house in my neighborhood, I'm just looking to get back the base that I'm going to lose from turning off the bass boost and maybe a little extra for those days when you really feel like jamming out... Does anybody have the OEM subwoofer and can anybody tell me specs on it? I know it's 2 ohms but that's about all I can find on it.

If I was going to add an amplifier and run the factory subwoofer is it any good? is it not even worth my time and I should just put in an aftermarket sub? if so does anybody have any recommendations on an 8-in subwoofer that fits in that box?

I'll add photos for reference below.

20201213_120710.jpg 20201213_120805.jpg 20201213_120715.jpg 20201213_120746.jpg

Last edited:

03greenZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These came stock in the 2000-2002 years, they changed to the center console sub for 2003-2006. Yes they will physically bolt in, but you will need to run your own power and speaker wiring for it, and add your own amp. The stock Bose speakers are usually junk by now so plan on an aftermarket speaker to replace it, there are only a few that fit as it’s a very shallow 8” speaker. Watch the diameter of your speaker you buy to make sure it fits, most are slightly too big to drop in. I did all of this to my Tahoe. The box is very similar but shaped a bit different. I would say if the goal is a bit more bass with a hidden factory type speaker setup then go for it. But if you are wanting real heavy bass just get a typical sub box setup in the back or one that hides under the rear seat. Just my 2 cents.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most factory subs are fairly low power to the point im actually driving one with just the hu and it sounds pretty good. i specifically bought a higher output head unit with built in crossover functions. you will want to measure the depth of the factory sub box and compare that with your sub of choice. make sure whatever subwoofer you chose you match it with the amplifier. for what you want 300w range will be plenty so dont go overkill. anyway if you have bose you should already have a subwoofer somewhere. as mentioned above check your center console for a factory subwoofer location. www.crutchfield.con will definitely be your friend here. they have always helped me when i had to call and never tried to upsell me. probably 90% of vehicles they already know more than most have forgotten.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
0DF2FCD3-3467-4A78-8BF3-CF1C1AC7C076.jpeg 1498C759-381B-4E91-B3DA-7BDDFEB5EEE6.jpeg Although mine is not an XL, I got the short wheelbase sub enclosure out of a Tahoe in the junkyard ($15). Put a MB Quart 8” (like $40-def not what they used to be) and a little digital amp ($70) right in the shoe box sized compartment. Sounds pretty good, fills it out for sure. No contests or rattling windows, but not too bad for under $150 total with wiring. Hardest part was using a deemed to cut out each little slot in the fake speaker grille to make it a real grille. I also threw a $20 pyramid (?) in my buddy’s 02 with his factory amp to replace his blown one. If using factory amp, make sure you get the ohms right. It sounds fine, put the oil bass back where his blown was was missing it.

Last edited:

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Also, I have the Sony xav1000 or whatever CarPlay radio, the stock Bose speakers and console sub all sound good, the 8 just gives it a little oomph. Driver door Bose speaker wasn’t working when I got the truck, one of the wires was broken to the voice coil. Soldered back together 5 years ago, sounds good lol

OP
OP
R

Ryan Casey

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry for the late reply, I think this thread offers up some really good information for everybody that might be looking to do something like this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14