Stupid I/m monitors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kitttransam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok so I took my 02 Tahoe to get its smog test a couple weeks ago as it’s registration is due coming up. It failed!!?? Ok so I recently replaced the cats and all the o2 sensors. I had the code for cat efficiency. That’s was 2 or 3 weeks before the smog test. It failed because catalyst monitor was not ready. Ca only scans the obd2 port on 2000 and newer cars. I’ve driven this thing from hell and back and still no go on the monitor. I even said screw it last week and unplugged the battery. Well now I’m at needing the evap and catalyst. Driven the hell out of it still no go. The only thing I could think of after all the searching I’ve done was the gas gauge is kinda messed up. I already had a new fuel pump unit ready to go just dreaded doing it. I fixed that today. Any other ideas about how to get this thing going? I’ve already read about that ridiculous drive cycle which is next to impossible where I live at to do. Oh and it a flex fuel federal emissions car.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
evap would likely be a front and/or rear canister solenoid, depending on the condition might also need a evap canister. to get the system ready otherwise you should probably drive at least 50 miles at 55mph (straight in one shot)

OP
OP
K

kitttransam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
evap would likely be a front and/or rear canister solenoid, depending on the condition might also need a evap canister. to get the system ready otherwise you should probably drive at least 50 miles at 55mph (straight in one shot)
Lol 50 miles at 55. Freeway is 65 and everyone drives 75+ country roads have to many stops around here too. The car has over 300k would that be something I should replace?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol 50 miles at 55. Freeway is 65 and everyone drives 75+ country roads have to many stops around here too. The car has over 300k would that be something I should replace?
you really need a scanner to find out the code it is giving, most autoparts stores will scan it for free or you could just buy a cheap one that just reads codes they can be had for $30 or so, harbor freight has cheap ones, I have a little cheapy centech I keep in the center console I like it because it gives the code and the definition all in one shot no need to go look it up the screen even lights up at night, but ya if you haven't changed out any of the evap parts @300k and your getting a evap code it may be advisable to replace: front evap solenoid, rear evap solenoid and the evap canister, you can find some deals on amazon, ebay, rockauto, etc.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as driving 50 miles @55 that's just what is generally advised to get it ready to smog/inspect, it doesn't have to be exact but as close as you can get, but I wouldn't even bother doing that until you have the evap problem resolved because the light will stay on or it may still not pass. where I live your allowed one active code but the cel has to be not lit

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive cycles is not just X amount of miles. A complete drive cycle consists of X miles, X amount of time, various gear changes (including reverse), various speeds, various engine loads, key on/key offs, etc.

If your scanner didn't show there were any pending codes and that/those monitors were just "not ready", then you may not have a problem.

50 miles might seem like plenty to you, but it doesn't mean much when satisfying drive cycles. My GF's old car was a Montero that had a nagging emissions code. After replacing a few relevant parts, I set it on jackstands with a stick on the accelerator because I read that it needed 70+ miles to complete it's drive cycles. I put 80 miles on it with it sitting in the driveway and the light never came back on. Backed it out of the driveway for a trip around the block and the light was on before I reached the end of my street.

OP
OP
K

kitttransam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah my code reader not picking up any codes. 400-500 miles after the cats. I’m sure I got close to that. I might take a drive to mariposa or oakhurst. Lots of hills. Wonder if that would kick anything in. Put more of a load going uphill and some down hill coasting.

OP
OP
K

kitttransam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At the rate I’m going I’m might have to go to dmv and get one of those stupid stickers put in my window because it hasn’t passed smog. It’s due this Friday. Even if I pay it the smog test will keep me from getting my tags. But I do plan on taking a trip for thanksgiving. It about 370 miles.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah my code reader not picking up any codes. 400-500 miles after the cats. I’m sure I got close to that. I might take a drive to mariposa or oakhurst. Lots of hills. Wonder if that would kick anything in. Put more of a load going uphill and some down hill coasting.
I was just sharing what I was told to do by the smog tech before here in California, worked in my case, of course the light came back on 2 days later but in the meantime I had passed, but Chris is right there a book method of doing it like driving 55 for x miles, then stopping for x minutes, then driving again at xx mph for xx minutes, turn engine off, turn engine on, etc, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792