Stranger Things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TNJYOUNG

TNJYOUNG

Reaction score
A faulty or intermittent wheel speed sensor will cause all those lights to go on.

So I took my Tahoe in for service as the lights came back on again and this was EXACTLY the issue. Driver's side front wheel speed sensor.

I have already had the work done, but I do have a question...

The dealer replaced the whole hub assembly (which included the sensor) as well as the receiving harness that the sensor plugs into (said that they could not see it until they began to replace the hub assembly and found that the harness had been chafed and was shorting out, too).

A friend of mine said the sensor could have been replaced independent of the hub assembly, but the dealer told me that they do not replace "only" the sensor as the manufacturer does not recommend it. They said due to the design, the sensor was likely damaged internally by the wheel bearings.

So, $863 later my Tahoe is again fixed.

Does this ring true?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I took my Tahoe in for service as the lights came back on again and this was EXACTLY the issue. Driver's side front wheel speed sensor.

The dealer replaced the whole hub assembly (which included the sensor) as well as the receiving harness that the sensor plugs into (said that they could not see it until they began to replace the hub assembly and found that the harness had been chafed and was shorting out, too).

A friend of mine said the sensor could have been replaced independent of the hub assembly, but the dealer told me that they do not replace "only" the sensor as the manufacturer does not recommend it. They said due to the design, the sensor was likely damaged internally by the wheel bearings.

Does this ring true?
The sensor was probably about $20 and can be done by itself. Easily. Figure it out lol.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score

Does this ring true?
Good news is you're gonna have a brand new vehicle before too long at this rate! How many miles have you got on it?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Didn’t ur other post say u got a bumper to bumper warranty when U got truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If u forgot to have dealer use the service contract and make a claim, don’t tell the S\C admin u forgot.

Tell them u thought the Dlr did that for u already and thought u we’re going to be reimbursed. I would call them and ask where your check is.

Any other scenario besides that and they may deny ur claim. I shit my pants when dlr said truck had $2k worth of issues after the $1k 100k mi service. 2 hours later I remembered the S/C and it turned into a $100 deductible payment. The S/C is kryptonite for dealer repairs.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? In areas where rust is an issue it’s common practice to change the entire hub when the sensor is inop because the tone ring is likely corroded. Also, just a guess, but there’s a fair chance you didn’t even have a sensor issue and it was just the harness if it truly was chafed, but they probably didn’t notice until they already swapped the hub.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s a Northern Ontario truck. It may see some rough weather occasionally :)

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? In areas where rust is an issue it’s common practice to change the entire hub when the sensor is inop because the tone ring is likely corroded. Also, just a guess, but there’s a fair chance you didn’t even have a sensor issue and it was just the harness if it truly was chafed, but they probably didn’t notice until they already swapped the hub.
If that’s the case then what about the rears? The tone rings are behind the bearings and the axle has to be removed. I’ve never seen a corroded tone ring, they’re buried. Your bearing would have to be shot so bad that water was coming through.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I can’t even read your posts due to your 12 year old texting shortcuts. Who the **** uses u instead of you? Or ur instead of your? How old are you? Damn.

I just wanted to let you know the list you made in record time is my ignore list, which I put you on so I don't have to read any more of your ********. I only apologized to you for the rest of the forum's sake, not because I did or said anything wrong. It's better for the rest of the forum for us to not interact because I WILL call people out on their ********. I chose to let you slide because you did a good enough job of showing who you are. So there you are. And don't try "getting back" at me for whatever you perceive as disrespect or whatever. I did this in private, not on the open forum for all to see. Unlike that crap you spewed at me when I was trying to be nice to you. Leave me alone and I'll !eave you alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevensavino