Strange clicking... Possible exhaust leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 15 Yukon I got in Aug 14. Shortly after I got it I noticed a clicking noise when its idling heard from the outside. Its loud enough that people comment on it and say things like "should it be making that noise?" and "that motor sounds funny." I have taken it to the dealer and asked them during maintenance to check on it and they always say it sounds normal. I don't think its normal and I drive across FL a lot so my bumper to bumper is coming due so I want to get this taken care of soon. I recorded it in a drive through the other day, its really noticeable in drive through cuz the wall reflects the sound right. Here is a link to it on youtube

What do y'all think? Im going to take it to the dealer again and get a little more serious with them about it instead of just asking them to check during the scheduled maintenance. If they say its normal again, should I will take to one if the chevy dealers and ask their service departments? Do you think its nothing and I shouldn't worry about it? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your taking it to a non chevy dealer for your service your generally always going to get "it sounds normal" or "we cant find a problem". If you still have the original bumper to bumper chevy warranty just take it straight to another chevy dealer until someone can find an issue or tell you specifically why it sounds like that.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your taking it to a non chevy dealer for your service your generally always going to get "it sounds normal" or "we cant find a problem". If you still have the original bumper to bumper chevy warranty just take it straight to another chevy dealer until someone can find an issue or tell you specifically why it sounds like that.

I have been taking it to the gmc buck Cadillac dealer where I bought it, it's a Yukon.

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not normal. Wheres the oil pressure at when its making that noise.

It almost sounds like a loose torque converter.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not normal. Wheres the oil pressure at when its making that noise.

It almost sounds like a loose torque converter.

Around 40 unless I'm flooring it and then higher. Actually on Tahoe forum a guy says he has the same problem and it's the direct injection valves under high pressure according to the dealer and it's normal and they're not doing anything about it. Great. :mad:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that doesnt sound normal
i havent heard any tahoes/yukons around here w/ that noise.

is it more amplified b/c you are up against bricks?

who @ the dealer said it was? if sales person or service writer, ask to speak to a mechanic

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that doesnt sound normal
i havent heard any tahoes/yukons around here w/ that noise.

is it more amplified b/c you are up against bricks?

who @ the dealer said it was? if sales person or service writer, ask to speak to a mechanic

Its the only way i could get it to record good was to do it like that, you can hear it real good in person standing around the car.

it was the service guy who said that, i took it in for scheduled maintenance and told them to check out that sound and when i picked it up they said that was normal. :/

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a different shop gm dealership if you can. They are more inclined to find an issue because they want your business with them. My neighbor does hvac and has been using chevy express 2500 vans for a while. The last one he bought at a dealership he was at the shop several times to diagnose a clunk in the drivetrain. The issue was finally found when he gave up with them and went to a different dealership. They found the rear end saddle clamps inside the diff had come loose. Could have been a serious issue if it never got found.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a different shop gm dealership if you can. They are more inclined to find an issue because they want your business with them. My neighbor does hvac and has been using chevy express 2500 vans for a while. The last one he bought at a dealership he was at the shop several times to diagnose a clunk in the drivetrain. The issue was finally found when he gave up with them and went to a different dealership. They found the rear end saddle clamps inside the diff had come loose. Could have been a serious issue if it never got found.

Yeah I think I'll try that thanks! If we figure it out, I'll post it.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, don't know what it was. Put premium in one time and it reduced the sound a lot. Lease was up so got a new truck. Problem fixed :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo