Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRed75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forums, so hello. I have a 2000 GMC Yukon XL that's was stolen for cats, and once I got it back the cluster only shows a constant battery light on in the message center, the digital mileage display at the bottom middle, and the only gauge that works is the oil pressure.

I tested my alternator for the red light, and it's good. I got a nice cluster from pick and pull to test against, but it also did the same as my original cluster.

I noticed that the headlight switch causes the door chime to turn on and stay on as long as the switch was on. On while using the dimmer also seems to have a short causing the lights &/or door chime to go on or off.

I ordered a new headlight/inside light switch, I'm hoping that'll fix it with any luck. I heard it could be the ignition cylinder housing, but I don't have the time for try that if it is.

I had to buy a new code scanner and multimeter to test a few things, but if anyone knows anything about why I'm only getting a red battery light which is constantly on, digital mileage reading, & the only gauge that works is the oil pressure gauge - please offer some advice, tips, or tricks.

Thanks in advance.

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Good morning,
To me the answer should come from what was damaged during the theft? Did they tear up the ignition, steering column, or any other electrical dependent system to take your truck.
What was damaged under the truck in the process of cutting out the CATs because they didn’t care about anything beyond their haul.

Could it simply be a cut ground wire under the truck.

If the truck was working normally when it was taken then this is where I would focus my efforts.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steal the whole truck to cut cats off?

They could have had the cats cut out in less time than taking it and driving somewhere before cutting cats. Oh, well. Nobody claimed the perps to be as smart as Einstein...

If nothing damaged in the steering column wiring, maybe wires inside the door got damaged during entry.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I would look real close at the areas where the cats were removed. I believe that there may be some ancillary damage there caused by the cats removal. It could be as simple as a missing ground strap, or possibly it could be a nearby wire harness that was damaged.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues