Stock radio swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a former Border Patrol 2011 Tahoe and the radio presently installed is kinda thrashed. I found OEM replacements on eBay for an excellent prices. My question is does the replacement radio need to be programmed for my truck or is it just "Plug en Play?"

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it needs VIN programmed.. here's a thread

Sounds like a tech2 or autosync are your best bets, otherwise I'm sure there are services available. ebay sellers often list that they will program it to your VIN.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON'T BUY A USED OEM RADIO!!! One, it's stupid, with old technology, and two, the VIN lock is a pain to deal with unless you have a Tech2 or want to pay the dealership $300. I know this from a personal situation.

Just buy a nice Double-Din unit (Kenwood is my favorite), dash kit (I like Metra), and a wiring harness with steering wheel controls. If on a budget for a PPV, PAC is a great brand. If you want the best, buy an iDatalink Maestro RR with GM5+ harness. Did the same on my 2009 PPV.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Vietvet, important thing for me is the large volume knob/power button and no distracting bright screen... and I guess I've had much worse sounding radios, so the stock one is actually decent for me.. Though I can understand people wanting better sound and playlist interfaces, luckily I don't have the need, so it's one of the few things I don't need to mess with!

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a reason why new head units have the features it does, especially for a PPV. Adding a backup camera, adding Bluetooth, and navigation. My parents are in their late 70’s and have added those features to their rides to protect them and others. Trust me, it’s stupid to buy a factory radio for a PPV. You gain nothing. But again, some people like trying ice skating uphill.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And trust me, when it comes to PPVs I doubt anyone has spent more money and time on making their PPVs better.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a former Border Patrol 2011 Tahoe and the radio presently installed is kinda thrashed. I found OEM replacements on eBay for an excellent prices. My question is does the replacement radio need to be programmed for my truck or is it just "Plug en Play?"
it will need a to be vin unlocked, as long as you do the install and drive to a dealer and just say the radio is locked most dealers will unlock it for free it only takes them a minute and they can do it in the service drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep