STELLAR Fuel Milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33.6 mpg on a 173 mile trip from sea level to 1,700 ft back down to sea level, up and down terrain, cruise control set to 65mph and drove 65mph the whole way, never below except to stop, speeding up to 72mph downhill, sunny, dry 37 deg F above freezing whole way. I was at 34mpg before getting into the city. Best 50 mile average this trip was 39.3. If I drive this route the "normal" way - ie, 77mph +/- keeping up with traffic, the milage is the EPA reported 26-27mpg. City commuting partial in town expressways gets 20-22 mpg. Sitting in traffic stop and go gets 14mpg. This engine is amazing, still breaking in at almost 4,000 miles. I'll update my review at 5,000 miles. I'm having a great ownership experience so far.

20220314_083800.jpg

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bast way to get 30 mpg is to keep it a 65 ish MPH. Unfortunately, you will get run over on most interstates driving this speed. I get appx 26-27 MPG but we are running 85 just to keep up. I've been passed by Kia Soul's running flat out at 100 MPH on open stretches of FL-GA highways...

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bast way to get 30 mpg is to keep it a 65 ish MPH. Unfortunately, you will get run over on most interstates driving this speed. I get appx 26-27 MPG but we are running 85 just to keep up. I've been passed by Kia Soul's running flat out at 100 MPH on open stretches of FL-GA highways...
It's just amazing how incredibly fast people drive these days. I'm usually the slowest guy on the road and get passed by all makes and models, but I'm usually not in a big hurry to get anywhere. Maybe rising gas prices will slow people down? Doubtful but wishful thinking at least

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just amazing how incredibly fast people drive these days. I'm usually the slowest guy on the road and get passed by all makes and models, but I'm usually not in a big hurry to get anywhere. Maybe rising gas prices will slow people down? Doubtful but wishful thinking at least
Ha. I agree. Unless we're running late, I generally cruise interstates at 77 or so, 80 tops. Feels like I'm poking along as I'm passed by nine out of 10 vehicles around me. And not by just a little. Most must be in the 85-90 range. Almost reminds me of the years we lived in Germany. All I know is that if I drove like that these days, my license would be toast. As for mileage, most of ours is I-65 in AL, TN, and KY. Nothing but hills. Usually get 25-26 MPG.

OP
OP
CTown Duramax

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say drivers on the interstates here in Mass have been going five to ten mph slower since gas reached about $4.50 a gallon. The unofficial speed limit here is 80 mph. Troopers will stop you if you go over 80. I usually try to keep up with traffic. Then I get about 26-28, same as my last model V-6 Impala. Right now, with drivers trying to save gas, going 65-72 mph is reasonable. I've noticed in states like FL and TN that the unofficial speed limit must be 85 or even 90.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 85, troopers won't even look at you in Fl and TN/KY. They are too busy going accident to accident. I75 and I95 are not for the timid...You'll get run over doing the speed limit...

RaptorJet31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ya the duramax jr is pretty impressive. We drove up to OR and picked it up 2 weeks ago, averaged 27-29 almost the whole way home. Pretty crazy for a 6k lb suv. Hoping to go fish this week, I really want to see how it tows my boat in the mountains here and also to see if there is any exhaust brake while actually towing. It is the one thing I miss coming from my 20' silverado 2500 that truck towed beautifully but had no reason for it after selling my trailer. The Ex brake on the 2500's works great even when not towing. So far very happy and so is my family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic