STELLAR Fuel Milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CTown Duramax

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on. I am not saying I get 35 mpg all the time. With our mix of bad city traffic and infrequent road trips, we are averaging 20.6 mpg over the last 5k miles. Probably 65% of engine hours are spent in traffic. Milage in bumper to bumper traffic is about 14mpg. It's exactly the same consumption I got with our new model 2015 Impala LT v-6, an efficient sedan. If you drive interstate normally, I think 28-29mpg is attainable after break in, but I do not have the knowledge and experience of Stbentoak. If I am going as fast as I want to go and accelerating as I please, mpg is 26 on the same interstate route. If you were to drive interstate slowly on level ground in warm dry weather all the time, you might stay over 30 mpg. The 35 mpg is not normal b/c run was made under near perfect conditions at night and I was being very light on the gas pedal. My best 50 mile average on that trip was 44.1 mpg obtained coming mostly down hill from an elevation of 1,700 ft to 150 ft. My DIC read out appears to be accurate when I do the calculations at the pump. Tires have cold pressure of 37psi (door sticker says 35psi). Temp betw 40 and 60 degrees, dry weather. Going 80mph drops trip milage 26-27 mpg, still very good. Most northerneast states are not going to let drivers go above 75 or 80 mph, depending on state, so we do drive slower here. I was very impressed recently with the brisk pace of driving in TN.

Last edited:

Larsonxjs

Reaction score
Im usually getting 28/29 on the highway for a 2 hour ride to Wilmington NC. It all depends on the wind though. On a windy trip I average 25. We are driving a brick with wheels….

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33.6 mpg on a 173 mile trip from sea level to 1,700 ft back down to sea level, up and down terrain, cruise control set to 65mph and drove 65mph the whole way, never below except to stop, speeding up to 72mph downhill, sunny, dry 37 deg F above freezing whole way. I was at 34mpg before getting into the city. Best 50 mile average this trip was 39.3. If I drive this route the "normal" way - ie, 77mph +/- keeping up with traffic, the milage is the EPA reported 26-27mpg. City commuting partial in town expressways gets 20-22 mpg. Sitting in traffic stop and go gets 14mpg. This engine is amazing, still breaking in at almost 4,000 miles. I'll update my review at 5,000 miles. I'm having a great ownership experience so far.

View attachment 365583
DEF = more costly still

i would head out to walmart they got it for, BLUEDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid, 2.5 gal for 15$ buy as much as you can afford before the price skyrockets very sooon they have a shelf life of about 2 years

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEF = more costly still

i would head out to walmart they got it for, BLUEDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid, 2.5 gal for 15$ buy as much as you can afford before the price skyrockets very sooon they have a shelf life of about 2 years
DEF is 11 Bucks at Wal mart where we are for 2.5. DEF is small portion of expense for LM2's unless you are towing. I've spent a grand total of 22.00 for it in 10K miles. Even if it doubles, it's still cheap. Never had a problem getting it, no need to hoard...its not toilet paper...

OP
OP
CTown Duramax

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have diesel and DEF at about 3/4 of the filling stations in my area.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best 50 mile average is 31.5mpg going about 75mph. Best 450 mile average is 28.9mpg with a couple heavy stop-go backups on the highway, but cruise still at 75mph.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best so far is 33.1 on a 90 mile round trip. Early morning, very little traffic with only 1 quick stop to drop off at airport. Mostly 65 mph with no traffic to run me over, Picture shows a little less after pulling into neighborhood to snap photo.

Attachments

• dash 329.jpg
    dash 329.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 14

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that 65mph sweet spot correlates to towing mileage...

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have diesel and DEF at about 3/4 of the filling stations in my area.
One thing I'm starting to notice is thru the reading I do on other forums, is that people seem to have more codes and issues after filling or using Station pumped DEF vs Pristine 2.5 jugs. That thought may have no basis, but on reading many DEF threads, many have said their last fill before codes popped up was from a bulk dispenser.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I'm starting to notice is thru the reading I do on other forums, is that people seem to have more codes and issues after filling or using Station pumped DEF vs Pristine 2.5 jugs. That thought may have no basis, but on reading many DEF threads, many have said their last fill before codes popped up was from a bulk dispenser.
I had this once. And while I don’t think the two were correlated, I never used the pump again. Only the AC Delco DEF sold at the dealer for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne