Steering wheel off center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratled

Reaction score
Hey guys, a buddy asked about a steering wheel being off center. I told him I don’t know about it but might know of some who do. It’s an 02 Chevy 5.3 at about 160k. He said just one day the steering wheel was aligned at 1 o’clock instead of 12. There where no events (hitting a curb etc), it was all of the sudden and runs just like normal. There is no difference in wheel feedback. I just took it for a test drive and it drove fine for me but the wheel off center.

Any thoughts to as why, the fix? Any concerns about driving it this way? Need any more info?

Thanks ratled

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something wore out on him. you need to jack one front wheel at a time up then push and pull at 3 and 9 o clock on the wheel while you watch for parts to move that should not be.

or slide under th etruck and have some one move the steering wheel left and right while you look for slop in the connections.

if you cant find anything wrong or dont care to get your hands dirty, take it to an alignment shop tell them whats up, they will check it over before doing an alignment and tell you if parts need to be replaced, cause they cant do a good job when you got worn out parts. they can fix em. or you fix it and come back for an alignment that you will need one way or another.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suspect something between the pitman arm and/or the relay rod. Excess wear or movement in those components could result in the steering wheel moving off center a bit.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all inner tie rods. They like to wear at the ball joint and you have to look close for the rod itself moving in and out of the boot which leads to the ball joint. Idler arm should cause wheel to have to be around 11 oclock to go straight because vehicle is pulling to the right because a worn idler causes right wheel to point more outward. Pitman arm If worn would cause slop both directions. Hung up brake caliper could be a culprit too. Is the vehicle diving a certain direction when coming to a stop at a light?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts